Cherubica for weekdays -for Mr Combitsas

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
This question was answered in another forum, but I cannot find the thread in Yahoo:

Mr Combitsas illustrated for us a taxis for chanting the Cherubic Hymn at the Liturgy for different Mode for each day. Can that be reposted pllllleeeeease?:D

JPP

neoklis

Νεοκλής Λευκόπουλος, Γενικός Συντονιστής
.... a taxis for chanting the Cherubic Hymn at the Liturgy for different Mode for each day. ...
The mode is the same as the corresponding koinonikon of the day:
Monday 1st
Tuesday Varys
Wednesday 4th
Thursday 4th plagal
Friday 1st plagal
Saturday the mode of past Sunday

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
The mode is the same as the corresponding koinonikon of the day:
Monday 1st
Tuesday Varys
Wednesday 4th
Thursday 4th plagal
Friday 1st plagal
Saturday the mode of past Sunday

Neoklis has it correct, except on Saturday you can also do plagal of the first mode, if you wish.

Please keep in mind that this table is for Liturgies that do NOT have a mode "associated" with them by tradition. For example, It is traditional to chant the Xerouvikon/Koinonikon in FIRST mode on New Year's day. However, if New Year's happens to fall on a Tuesday, that does not mean that you now chant these in Varys mode. New Year's day has First Mode "associated" with it by tradition.

So, knowing that here are other traditional modal guidelines for other feasts throughout the year, here is a completed list (taken from the book by Fr. Serafeim Farasoglou, Apo tin taxi kai psalmodia ston Patriarxiko Nao Konstantinoupolews - "From the rubrics and psalmody in the Patriarchal Church of Constantinople"):

• Sept. 1 - First Mode
  • Sept. 14 - Fourth Mode "agia"
  • Day before Christmas - Second Mode
  • Christmas - First Mode
  • Dec. 26 - Second Mode
  • Jan. 1 - First Mode
  • Day before Theofany - Second Mode
  • Theofany - Mode Barys
  • Jan. 7 - Second Mode
  • Third Sunday of Lent - Fourth Mode "agia"
  • Saturday of Lazarus - First Mode
  • Palm Sunday - Fourth Mode "agia"
  • Pascha - First Mode
  • Sunday of St. Thomas - First Mode
  • Mid-Pentecost and Ascension - Fourth Mode "agia"
  • Pentecost - Mode Barys
  • Feasts of Christ ("Despotikes eortes") - First Mode or Plagal of the First Mode
  • Feasts of the Theotokos ("Theomitorikes eortes") - Fourth Mode "agia"
  • Feasts of Saints - Mode of the day (for weekdays, see above)
  • Consecrations and Feast of Consecration (Sept. 13) - Mode Barys
  • Transfiguration - Fourth Mode "agia"

Note that many times, the Modes of the Cherubic Hymns are determined by the Communion Hymns of the above-referenced feasts, which are included in the classical musical manuals or digests, and which have been composed in the appropriate mode. (Specifically, see: Theodoros Fokaeus, Tameion Anthologias, Constantinople, 1869, volume III, and Ioannis Lambadarios and Stefanos the 1st Domestikos, Pandekti tis Ieras Ekklisiastikis Ymnodias tou olou eniautou, Constantinople 1851, volume IV).

Hope this helps.

Apostolos

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Note that many times, the Modes of the Cherubic Hymns are determined by the Communion Hymns of the above-referenced feasts, which are included in the classical musical manuals or digests, and which have been composed in the appropriate mode. (Specifically, see: Theodoros Fokaeus, Tameion Anthologias, Constantinople, 1869, volume III, and Ioannis Lambadarios and Stefanos the 1st Domestikos, Pandekti tis Ieras Ekklisiastikis Ymnodias tou olou eniautou, Constantinople 1851, volume IV).

Hope this helps.

Apostolos

Yes, this expanded list helps very much. I had your original list from years ago on my analogion and unfortunately it got lost.

Thank you very kindly.

JPP

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
It makes sense that Pascha would be Mode one, since the Queen and Lady is already assumed the Mode One Sunday Praises for both Vespers and Orthros.

JPP

phokaeus

Παλαιό Μέλος
It might also be of interest to note that the so-called "unwritten" typikon of the Great Church does not prescribe the third or plagal second modes to any feast or day of the week.

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
It was my understanding, per something I read from The Rudder, that Palm Sunday is 4th Mode "slow Legetos" not "Agia".

Generally, Feasts of the Cross (3rd Sunday of Lent & Sept. 14) are "Agia" but perhaps it isn't as hard/fast of a rule..

neoklis

Νεοκλής Λευκόπουλος, Γενικός Συντονιστής
It was my understanding, per something I read from The Rudder, that Palm Sunday is 4th Mode "slow Legetos" not "Agia"...

Cherubic hymns in "legetos" are a rarity and an exception (there is only one "classic" cherubic hymn I know of) and there is no koinonikon in that mode.

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Cherubic hymns in "legetos" are a rarity and an exception (there is only one "classic" cherubic hymn I know of) and there is no koinonikon in that mode.

My apologies - the Doxology is what that applied to ("slow legetos" of Petros Lampadarios). Presumably the cherubikon and koinonikon would be in "Agia"