Paraklesis to St. George

age234

Νέο μέλος
Christ is risen!

I have the Supplicatory Canon to St. George, published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery. I've asked around for the music for the canon, but nobody I've spoken to has ever heard of these particular melodies. I've written the monastery and have not received any response.

These are the melodies of the odes, in Plagal Fourth Tone:

Ode I - "The charioteer of Pharaoh" *
Ode III - "Lord, Thou art the steadfastness"
Ode IV - "I have hearkened and heard" *
Ode V - "Wherefore hast Thou deprived me" *
Ode VI - "O Lord be gracious to me"
Ode VII - "Once from out of Judea" *
Ode VIII - "Let us ever extol" *
Ode IX - "The heavens were astonished" *

* These odes are familiar from the Small and Great Paraklesi of the Theotokos.

So, in fact, I only need the notation for Odes III and VI. Is this available online? Byzantine or Western, either is fine.

Thanks!

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
So, in fact, I only need the notation for Odes III and VI. Is this available online?

"O Lord, be gracious to me" is chanted as the sixth katavasia during Orthros on Lazarus Saturday «Ιλάσθητί μοι Σωτήρ». The music can be found in the Heirmologion of Ioannis Protopsaltis on page 472. Unfortunately, I do not recognize "Lord, Thou art the steadfastness." If you post an example troparion (including the asterisks), perhaps I will recognize the heirmos from the metrical pattern of the troparion.

Panagiotis G.

Μέλος
"Lord thou art the steadfastness" is Σὺ εἶ τὸ στερέωμα. You can find this heirmos in the second page of the attachment.

Attachments

• 0828_Kanwn_Osiou_Mwsews_Ai0iopos.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 76

age234

Νέο μέλος
For what it's worth, Basil, here are the troparia from Ode III:

Mighty are thy holy prayers; thy help is swift, and thy comfort sure; * sweet is thy name; boundless is thy goodness, * O astonishing Martyr George.

Infidels beseech thine aid, as knowing well what thy prayers procure; * show kindness also to us, the sinners, * O magnanimous Martyr George.

Help thy hapless camel through the needle's eye, O Great Martyr George, * for I am laden with sins and passions * and without thee cannot pass through.

Guide us in this time of grievous tribulation, O Full of Grace; * the peace that passeth all understanding * do thou speedily grant to us.

DanM

Νέο μέλος
If anyone finds it convenient to supply me with the following information, I would be very grateful. I am missing Odes III ("Lord, Thou art the steadfastness") and VIII ("Let us ever extol"). I do not need musical notations, just the words. Perhaps there is a site to which I may be referred?
I am also missing Ode VI ("O Lord be gracious to me").
Many thanks, Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
If anyone finds it convenient to supply me with the following information, I would be very grateful. I am missing Odes III ("Lord, Thou art the steadfastness") and VIII ("Let us ever extol"). I do not need musical notations, just the words. Perhaps there is a site to which I may be referred?
I am also missing Ode VI ("O Lord be gracious to me").
Many thanks, Dan

Sorry, just to make sure I understand you correctly: You want the texts of the heirmoi (the pattern-melody) for the hymns you listed?

In Christ,
Gabriel

DanM

Νέο μέλος
Right. Just the texts. I have tried to download Heirmologion of Ioannis Protopsaltis with no luck. I cannot even open the attachment of Panagiotis G. I need the irmoi in order to transcribe the canon of St. Dionysios of Zakynthos.

GabrielCremeens

Right. Just the texts. I have tried to download Heirmologion of Ioannis Protopsaltis with no luck. I cannot even open the attachment of Panagiotis G. I need the irmoi in order to transcribe the canon of St. Dionysios of Zakynthos.

Are you looking for Greek or English? The Heirmologion of Ioannis only has Greek.

DanM

Νέο μέλος
I prefer English, though I can do Greek. I just cannot open Protopsaltis--the size of the PDF crashes my computer. Below are the irmoi as I have cobbled them together so far. I only have the starting blocks of III, VI and VIII.

ODE I
The charioteer of Pharaoh was sunk in olden times by Moses' rod, which worked a mighty wonder when, in the Cross's form, it struck the sea, dividing it in two; and it led into safety sojourning Israel that fled by foot, chanting to the Lord God a song of praise.

ODE III
"Lord, Thou art the steadfastness"

ODE IV
I have hearkened and heard, O Lord, of the most awesome mystery of Thy dispensation; and I have come to the knowledge of Thy works and I sing the praises of Thy divinity.

ODE V
Wherefore hast thou deprived me and cast me, the hapless one, far from your countenance; and the outer darkness has enshrouded and cast its gloom over me. Yet, now I beseech you: convert me and direct to the light of your precepts, O Lord my God.

ODE VI
"O Lord be gracious to me"

ODE VII
Once from out of Judea did the Children go down to the land of Babylon; the fire of the furnace they trampled down whilst singing their faith in the Trinity: O God of our Fathers, blessed art Thou.

ODE VIII
"Let us ever extol"

ODE IX
The heavens were astonished and stood in awe, and the ends of the earth, O Maiden, were sore amazed, for God appeared bodily to mankind as very man. And behold, thy womb hath proved to be vaster and more spacious than heaven's heights. For this, O Theotokos, the choirs and assemblies of men and angels magnify thy name.

GabrielCremeens

Ode III
Lord, Thou art the steadfastness of them that flee unto Thee in faith; Thou art the light of all those in darkness, and my spirit doth sing Thy praise.

Ode IV
I have hearkened and heard, O Lord, of Thy dispensation's most awesome mystery; and I came to knowledge of Thy works, and I sang the praise Thy Divinity.

Ode VI
O Lord, be gracious to me, for many are mine iniquities; and from the pit of my wicked deeds, raise me up, I pray, for unto Thee have I cried. O God of my salvation, and my Saviour, hearken unto me.

Ode VIII
LET us ever extol and praise the Lord God Who was seen of old on the holy mount in glory, Who by the fiery bush revealed the great mystery of the Ever-virgin and undefiled Maiden unto the Prophet Moses.

Ode IV is from the Paraklesis (Small Supplicatory) Canon to the Theotokos and Katavasia of the Exaltation of the Cross.

Ode VII is also from the Paraklesis.

I am wondering if any of the other Odes are metered to the same melodies as the Canons for the Theotokos and the Exaltation of the Cross? (Difficult for me to tell from the English translations, but some of them seem close?)

GabrielCremeens

I am wondering if any of the other Odes are metered to the same melodies as the Canons for the Theotokos and the Exaltation of the Cross? (Difficult for me to tell from the English translations, but some of them seem close?)

The 1st, 5th, 8th, and 9th are found in the Great Paraklesis.

The 4th, as you said, is common to the Small Paraklesis and the Katavasiae for the Exaltation of the Cross.

The 7th Ode is found in the Small Paraklesis.

The 3rd and the 6th are not found in either of the Paraklesis services, nor in the Katavasiae for the Exaltation. Rather, they are found in the Octoechos (Paraklitiki), in other canons of Saints, etc. For instance, the 6th Ode is also the 6th Ode of the Katavasiae of the Saturday of Lazarus. (Ιλασθητι μοι, Σωτηρ).

-Γαβριήλ

DanM

Νέο μέλος
TimGabe, I truly appreciate your revelation of the desired irmoi. But now I am puzzled. I thought that the irmos of Ode V was "Wherefore hast thou deprived me and cast me, the hapless one, far from your countenance; and the outer darkness has enshrouded and cast its gloom over me. Yet, now I beseech you: convert me and direct to the light of your precepts, O Lord my God." However, I see from other notes that it is supposed to start off as "Lord, enlighten me." Do you perhaps know the rest of that irmos? Also, I do not know why I thought that "Wherefore hast thou" was the right irmos. Is there a reason not to use it instead of "Lord, enlighten me"? Again, as we say in Latin, I drive great graces to you.
DanM

Ode III
Lord, Thou art the steadfastness of them that flee unto Thee in faith; Thou art the light of all those in darkness, and my spirit doth sing Thy praise.

Ode IV
I have hearkened and heard, O Lord, of Thy dispensation's most awesome mystery; and I came to knowledge of Thy works, and I sang the praise Thy Divinity.

Ode VI
O Lord, be gracious to me, for many are mine iniquities; and from the pit of my wicked deeds, raise me up, I pray, for unto Thee have I cried. O God of my salvation, and my Saviour, hearken unto me.

Ode VIII
LET us ever extol and praise the Lord God Who was seen of old on the holy mount in glory, Who by the fiery bush revealed the great mystery of the Ever-virgin and undefiled Maiden unto the Prophet Moses.

GabrielCremeens

...now I am puzzled. I thought that the irmos of Ode V was "Wherefore hast thou deprived me." ... However, I see from other notes that it is supposed to start off as "Lord, enlighten me." Do you perhaps know the rest of that irmos? Also, I do not know why I thought that "Wherefore hast thou" was the right irmos. Is there a reason not to use it instead of "Lord, enlighten me"? Again, as we say in Latin, I drive great graces to you.
DanM

Hi Dan,

Do you perhaps mean the heirmos "Lord, enlighten us" (as opposed to "enlighten me")? This heirmos is found in the 5th ode of the Small Paraklesis. It goes:

"Lord, enlighten us, with Thy precepts and by Thy commands. And by the power of Thy lofty arm, bestow Thy peace upon us all, as Thou art Friend of Man."

Last edited:
P.S. Looks like the following are from the Resurrection Heirmoi (Anastasimatarion Plagal Fourth):

Ode I - The charioteer of Pharoah
Ode V - Wherefore hast Thou deprived me
Ode VI - O Lord, be gracious to me (different translation?)
Ode IX - The heavens were astonished

(see HTM Pentecostarion - All Saints Sunday)

In working on our feast day - the Prophet Elias / Elijah, July 20 - we needed some of the same Katavasia as you were seeking. Enclosed are the English arrangements we have. Odes I, V, VI, VII and IX, I believe, are the same.

Hope this is helpful.

In Christ,
Rdr. Michael

Attachments

• 07-20 Katavasia Ode 1 & 3 T8.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 07-20 Katavasia Ode 4 & 5 T8.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 07-20 Katavasia Ode 6 & 7 T8.pdf
    38.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 07-20 Katavasia Ode 8 & 9 T8.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 19

Aristides

Evlogiete
I am considering putting the HTM Paraklisis to St. Katherine to music so we can chant it at our parish (St. Katherine's) I had the same problem with finding some of the music, so this was very helpful. I wonder if anyone has already done this and would be willing to share it, so I don't have to re-invent the wheel. Thanks!

JohnH

Νέο μέλος
"Lord, Thou art the steadfastness" is the hymn :

Σὺ εἶ τὸ στερέωμα Ἦχος πλ. δ΄ (Sy ei to stereoma)
Σὺ εἶ τὸ στερέωμα, τῶν προστρεχόντων σοι Κύριε, σὺ τὸ φῶς, τῶν ἐσκοτισμένων, καὶ ὑμνεῖ σε τὸ πνεῦμά μου.

Fr. Leo Schefe has a very low-quality recording of it on his website, found at this link:
http://www.glt.xyz/music/8076.mp3