I. Arvanitis: Slow "It is the day of Resurrection"

Laosynaktis

Παλαιό Μέλος
I tried a (more or less) adaptation of the slow "Anastasews hmera" by Chrysaphis the New. I give it in both the old and the new notation.
As I don't know any other slow sticheraric chants in English to exist, I don't know how it sounds to English speaking people. Your impressions and comments will be welcome.

Attachments

• EasterEnglish.pdf
    237.1 KB · Views: 207

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
I tried a (more or less) adaptation of the slow "Anastasews hmera" by Chrysaphis the New. I give it in both the old and the new notation.
As I don't know any other slow sticheraric chants in English to exist, I don't know how it sounds to English speaking people. Your impressions and comments will be welcome.

Christ is risen!

I have a recording of this when Mr. Arvanitis chanted it with John Boyer at Holy Cross Chapel in Brookline, MA, if anyone would like me to upload it.

GabrielCremeens

My pleasure. :)

Apologies that the quality is not the best. Next time, I'll try to move the recorder a little farther away from the analogion.

Attachments

• It is the Day of Resurrection Chrysaphis (Arvanitis and Boyer).WMA
    9.3 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Laosynaktis

Παλαιό Μέλος
And in MP3 format:

Attachments

• It is the Day of Resurrection Chrysaphis (Arvanitis and Boyer).mp3
    9.3 MB · Views: 94

GabrielCremeens

As a thank-you to Dr. Arvanitis for his excellent compositions and adaptations in the English language, I wanted to type up his adaptation of Chrysaphes' slow "It is the Day of Resurrection."

Dr. Arvanitis, I'm sure that all those interested in composition here on the English side of the forum will echo my sentiments in thanking you for work - it is extremely inspiring to see just how well, and how naturally, Byzantine music can be adapted for the English language.

In Christ,
Gabriel

Attachments

• Arvanitis - Praises Doxastikon of Pascha (Chrysaphes).pdf
    538.7 KB · Views: 96