Byzantine Ecclesiastical Music By Basilios Psilacos

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
I haven't seen a Thread announcing this, so I thought I would get it up. Mr. Psilacos has posted on Lulu his Byzantine Musical Theory Book in English. I haven't seen the whole thing myself so I can't attest to the quality of the whole body of work, but he emailed me a sample of it a couple years back, and I found the material to be very good and easy to teach from, with some good (if not perfect) explanations for English speakers.

Link: http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcover/byzantine-ecclesiastical-music/12309900

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I haven't seen a Thread announcing this, so I thought I would get it up. Mr. Psilacos has posted on Lulu his Byzantine Musical Theory Book in English. I haven't seen the whole thing myself so I can't attest to the quality of the whole body of work, but he emailed me a sample of it a couple years back, and I found the material to be very good and easy to teach from, with some good (if not perfect) explanations for English speakers.

Link: http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcover/byzantine-ecclesiastical-music/12309900

Can you please send me his e-mail address privately? This looks interesting.

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Samuel,

Would it be possible for you to scan the page(s) that show the following, and post herein:

1) His list of symbols (neumes)
2) His chromatic generum intervals (the typical "ladders" would be fine)
3) His reference list

This won't violate copyright.

Thank you in advance,

NG

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Having seen drafts of the book sent to me by Vasili Psilacos in the past I can say that this is a great edition, filling a significant gap in the existing literature of Byzantine music textbooks, and I recommend it to all students of Byzantine chant. It will be great to post samples of the book too to promote it.

greek487

Tasos N.
Sam and Dimitri,

It's not a cheap book ($71.99), but perhaps you can post your positive comments and recommendations on lulu.com

I'm sure the author would appreciate it.

I'm curious to learn more about this textbook because comprehensive material in English is so difficult for us to find.

Thanks for posting Sam,
Taso

Dimitri

Staff member
Compared to prices one pays for other psaltic books in Greece these days, it's quite reasonably priced. Knowing the author, he's been working on it for many years. The book contains theory and exercises dispersed throughout the text. Adding a review sounds like a good idea, after I have got the published book. Vasili recently also published the bilingual

New Book/CD: "Learning Greek Orthodox Hymns", Basilios Psilacos, 2010

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
Compared to prices one pays for other psaltic books in Greece these days, it's quite reasonably priced.

Agreed! Psaltic Books are quite expensive these days.

As for some samples, I am posting 4 pages from what he sent me. Keep in mind, what he sent me he did so in 2006 while he was still in the writing and editing process, so he could've edited the selections I am posting substantially since then. I don't know if he has or hasn't, just keep in mind this may not reflect the final product.

Dimitri, if you feel my post is in violation of his wishes or the rules of Analogion, please feel free to delete it.

Mr. Giannoukakis, I am not able to post the chromatic generum interval page because I do not have that in what he sent me. All I have are the "Practical Exercises" section of his book. In what I have, the reference page says the practical exercises were from Margoziotis except for a couple selections from Papadimitriou and the English translations of hymns are from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia Translation Committee.

Attachments

• Sample Page 1.pdf
    56.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Sample Pages 4-6.pdf
    86.4 KB · Views: 109

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Agreed! Psaltic Books are quite expensive these days.

As for some samples, I am posting 4 pages from what he sent me. Keep in mind, what he sent me he did so in 2006 while he was still in the writing and editing process, so he could've edited the selections I am posting substantially since then. I don't know if he has or hasn't, just keep in mind this may not reflect the final product.

This fits in the category of "'Bout Time!"

I would be curious to see if any method has been in the works for the specific training of young children (which my parish seems to be abundantly blessed with), esp. since the Patriarchate had a long history of training psaltai at a young age --like Jedi Knights.

JPP

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
The book would be tremendously beneficial so long as it meets the following:

1) It is as comprehensive as the "classic" theory book of Panagiotopoulos

2) It provides many exercises with good explanatations preceding the exercise(s) (and from what you wrote John P, it quite likely does).

3) The English is....well......English :)

I'd appreciate someone to post some more pages from it so we can get a feel of the flow of the language and the overall comprehensiveness. Can someone at least post the table of contents?

This may turn out to be a valuable resource for all non-Greek learners.....I concur with the rest of you that the price is right.

NG

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have asked my Metropolitan to order a copy. My curiosity has now been piqued.

JPP

The book would be tremendously beneficial so long as it meets the following:

1) It is as comprehensive as the "classic" theory book of Panagiotopoulos

2) It provides many exercises with good explanatations preceding the exercise(s) (and from what you wrote John P, it quite likely does).

3) The English is....well......English :)

I'd appreciate someone to post some more pages from it so we can get a feel of the flow of the language and the overall comprehensiveness. Can someone at least post the table of contents?

This may turn out to be a valuable resource for all non-Greek learners.....I concur with the rest of you that the price is right.

NG

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Mr. Psillacos put together the appended service of the Small Paraclesis some time ago. The moderator, Mr. Koubaroulis, had posted it in psaltologion at some point in the past and I re-post it here.

It should give a glimpse into his (Mr. Psillacos') method and philosophy.

Please scan, at least, the table of contents once you receive it (John P).

NG.

Attachments

• Small paraclesis-BPsillacos.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 65

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
Please scan, at least, the table of contents once you receive it (John P).

NG.

Niko,

If you go to the original URL that Mr. Herron provided in his first message of this thread (http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcove...music/12309900), you will come to the lulu.com site which shows the cover of the book. Click on the link that says "Preview", which is found underneath the cover image, and then go to pages 5 and 6. There, you will find the Table of Contents.

Apostolos

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
THIS POST REPLY INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK.

('Cause I messed up and clicked "Reply" twice, and I don't know how to delete the post!)

A.

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
I just placed an order. FYI, at the end of the checkout pocess, there is a field for PROMO CODE. If you enter "BACKTOSCHOOL", you will get $10 USD off your purchase.

I ordered mine expedited, but at the end it lists "10-15 days" shipping which means that it likely takes 10-15 days to process the order (time for Lulu to get it from the distributor?) and then (expedited shipping) another 2 days to deliver to my home.

In any case, as soon as I receive, I will scan some relevant pages and post FYI.

If it is useful, it will become part of our teaching syllabus here in PA....

NG

Dimitri

Staff member
After my request, Vasili has kindly uploaded some more pages from the book on the lulu preview feature for anyone interested.

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
My impatient wait was rewarded today morning as I was awakened by a "thud" and a doorbell ring. It was Fedex (yes, they do deliver on Saturdays in the US!) and in the hand of the delivery person we have come to know on a first name basis (who serves our neighborhood), was a parcel. After a signature and a welcome to him to grab some late-blooming nectarines from our acre-full of fruiting trees, I shut the door, and began the process of unpacking the parcel.

Let me precede my preliminary review with a positive note for Lulu. The book comes from a distributor in North Carolina here in the US. The total time elapsed from the distributor receiving the order from Lulu to front door delivery was three days, and on a Saturday at that! I am very happy with Lulu's service.

The book arrived in excellent condition. A vivid dark blue, hardcover surrounds 206 crisp and thick pages with a large 14-size font which I believe is Palatino Linotype. The Byzantine symbols are large, clear and crisp and where the author intended emphasis they are shadowed.

This review is preliminary. As I read the book more carefully, I will very likely revise my original impressions.

First, this book is not an encyclopedic and deeply-theoretical and historical compendium in the manner of Kyriakos Filloxenos nor an academic and theoretical treatise revised for the lay musical masses with Western musical transpositions like the excellent "La Musique Byzantine" in French by Dimitri Giannelos (L'Harmattan Publishers 1996). It is also not a copy in English of the traditional Dimitris Panagiotopoulos ("Kouros") theory-practical learner's companion that served and continues to serve many conservatories in Greece.

Basilios Psilacos offers a practical guide for the beginner with just enough theoretical considerations to motivate the student of Byzantine chant to appreciate and be drawn into the endless realm of this 1600-year old musical expression of Christianity.

The English language is clear and, where translations of Byzantine-specific phrases is mandated, Basilios Psilacos (BP) offers terms that are self-evident, even though they may not reflect the original intent of the Greek phrase. This is not a problem of the book or of BP's translational ability, but rather of the limitation of the English language as a means of descriptive and linguistically-"stenographic" communication.

The book offers some solid chapters and some that, I hope, BP can strengthen in a 2nd edition. The most solid, in my opinion are Chapter 1 (learning the symbols with good exercises and some practical hymns in English), and Chapters 3 and 4. Chapter 2 is very useful up to Chapter 2.9. The remainder of Chapter 2 could have been much more comprehensive. Chapters 4 and 5 are good surveys of their topics (see below).

Chapter 2 begins with the theory of intervals. It is presented in a simple manner and focuses on the derivation of the diatonic intervals (rational numbers) from fractions and string lengths. Some could consider this as a beginner's guide to sound theory, with just enough description and explanation to inform but not confuse. Unfortunately, the chromatic intervals are glossed over. But since this book is aimed at beginners, perhaps this was a tradeoff that can be amended in a future edition. Chapter 2 also reminds the reader of the concepts learned in Chapter 1 and introduces the different systems of the diatonic genus. Here, I believe that BP could have invested some more pages on the topic. I found it tepid and timid. These same impressions, I felt for the space he dedicated to the fthores and the chroai. In my opinion, these topics could have best served the reader much later in the book (pthores and chroes), but every author is entitled to their method of teaching. From my note in the preceding paragraph, BP could have invested a few more pages to elaborate the chromatic genus, the tetraphonic and the "equal diphonic" system of the chromatic and some practical exercises. Hopefully, a second edition will consider these points.

Chapter 3 disappointed not because of its contents (Orthography), but because it was presented too early in the book. Orthography is an advanced concept that very few psaltae are blessed with and requires years of command of chant and reading. In my opinion, too much time was focused on it way too early. BP would have better served the reader by offering more space to the elements of chant and theory not well-developed in earlier chapters. Indeed, the book could have ommitted orthography as a topic altogether. The remainder of Chapter 3 focuses on a survey of the three genera and then a descriptive overview of the eight tones not too unlike what one finds in the traditional Panagiotopoulos book.

Chapter 4 is devoted to meter and rhythm. This chapter is well-written and presented. In my opinion it should have been the ending of chapter 2 or presented earlier in place of orthography or the pthores/chroes sections of Chapter 2.

Chapter 5 discusses the church services in an overview and gives a fundamental survey of the typikon, liturgics, the weekly, monthly and calendar cycles as well as a list of the commonly-used books. Finally, the chapter ends with an overview of translating Greek into English music as well as a very basic overview of the Western notation system in the context of Byzantine chant.

Overall, this is a very valuable book for the learner and the teacher. It can serve as a "pocket guide" for the student as well as a quick lookup reference for the teacher.

BP goes to great length, to his credit, to emphasise that learning the elements in his book requires A GOOD TEACHER. Especially on the intervals and the qualitative aspects of the symbols.

As I scanned Chapter 1, I felt I was looking through the excellent formative Volume 1 of Anastasiadis-Hatzis five-volume compendium of Learning Byzantine Music. It was the most solid chapter. The other chapters have useful "pocket guide" information, but in the future, I hope that a second edition can fortify these chapters with more exercises and a more-in depth treatment of the topics.

Orthography should be left last. It is not, in my view, useful to the learner.

Taken together, the book is very useful-despite my notes on its limitations-and I highly recommend it. BP is to be congratulated for offering a well-written and clearly-presented beginner's manual in the English language and I am hopeful that he will strengthen this very thoughtful first edition with an equally thoughtful and more comprehensive second in the not-too-distant future.

Since I do not plan to be in the office until Tuesday, and therefore no access to a high-speed scanner, I won't be able to offer some representative page scans until next week......

NG

Last edited:

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Chapter 3 disappointed not because of its contents (Orthography), but because it was presented too early in the book. Orthography is an advanced concept that very few psaltae are blessed with and requires years of command of chant and reading. In my opinion, too much time was focused on it way too early. BP would have better served the reader by offering more space to the elements of chant and theory not well-developed in earlier chapters. Indeed, the book could have ommitted orthography as a topic altogether. The remainder of Chapter 3 focuses on a survey of the three genera and then a descriptive overview of the eight tones not too unlike what one finds in the traditional Panagiotopoulos book.

/QUOTE]

I have not seen the book yet. My thinking on the orthography issue is that I agree with Nick here, that anything comprehensive presents a subject way too broad for the early beginner. My thinking is that anything to do with orthography should be instead integrated with the context of the instruction and presented in a manner that is highly pragmatic -i.e. psifiston, in the beginning stages of learning signifies that two descending notes follow (PO tradition on the subj. comes later, kentemata is for melismas and a syllable never begins on a kentemata, etc. ---that sort of thing. Newbies seem to grasp that.

I hope that makes sense for writing at 6AM in the morning.

JPP