Analogion bannerPowered by
analogion.com
Psaltologion (Ψαλτολόγιον)

Επιστροφή   Psaltologion (Ψαλτολόγιον) > Discussions in English > Theory and Practice

Απάντηση στο θέμα

Εργαλεία Θεμάτων Τρόποι εμφάνισης
Παλιά 29-07-17, 16:25
Νέο μέλος

Προεπιλογή Exercises for the Voice

Hello,

I noticed that my voice gets tired as I chant for a long time (like when I chant the chrerobikon) especially if there are high notes. I also, cannot hit the low notes, unless I start the base note high enough, which makes my voice becomes tired very quickly. Are there any exercises for the voice for this?

Thanks
Απάντηση με παράθεση
Παλιά 29-07-17, 21:47
Το avatar του χρήστη Maragkos Nikos
Ως ο άσωτος υιός ήλθον καγω Οικτιρμων...

Περιοχή: Συκιές Θεσσαλονίκη
Προεπιλογή Voice exercises

Search for vocal exercises in Youtube.There are many from experienced tutors.Try to do them daily.
Απάντηση με παράθεση
Το πιό κάτω μέλος είπε "Ευχαριστώ Maragkos Nikos!" για αυτή τη δημοσίευση:
ByzantineVoice (29-07-17)
Παλιά 29-07-17, 23:27
Παλαιό Μέλος

Thanked 1.047 Times in 131 Posts
Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση:
Αρχικό μήνυμα απο ByzantineVoice Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
Hello,

I noticed that my voice gets tired as I chant for a long time (like when I chant the chrerobikon) especially if there are high notes. I also, cannot hit the low notes, unless I start the base note high enough, which makes my voice becomes tired very quickly. Are there any exercises for the voice for this?

Thanks
You get tired not from vocal folds stressing but from loosing breath control this is why fou feel tired after long chanting. Vocal exercises does not help much on this problem. Better look for exercises for breathing, so that, you can control better the pressure of the air you use when singing or chanting. (pressure+time=tired)
Απάντηση με παράθεση
Το πιό κάτω μέλος είπε "Ευχαριστώ andreasgon!" για αυτή τη δημοσίευση:
ByzantineVoice (29-07-17)
Παλιά 29-07-17, 23:38
Νέο μέλος

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση:
Αρχικό μήνυμα απο andreasgon Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων
You get tired not from vocal folds stressing but from loosing breath control this is why fou feel tired after long chanting. Vocal exercises does not help much on this problem. Better look for exercises for breathing, so that, you can control better the pressure of the air you use when singing or chanting. (pressure+time=tired)
When I say "tired" I mean it becomes hoarse, such that I cannot hit the notes correctly, it is as if I hurt my voice!!

About the low notes, so, if I cannot hit the low notes now, with practice, I will be able to do so. I don't have a problem with high notes, but my voice becomes hoarse if I hit very high notes for a while!!
Απάντηση με παράθεση
Παλιά 30-07-17, 04:43
Παλαιό Μέλος

Thanked 1.047 Times in 131 Posts
Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση:
When I say "tired" I mean it becomes hoarse, such that I cannot hit the notes correctly, it is as if I hurt my voice!!

About the low notes, so, if I cannot hit the low notes now, with practice, I will be able to do so. I don't have a problem with high notes, but my voice becomes hoarse if I hit very high notes for a while!!
Same thing, "tired" or "hoarse"! When you try to hit high notes turn off the volume (loudness) back off and let it go. For low notes... you loose some of them it's normal after warming up, or singing a while.
Απάντηση με παράθεση
3 μέλη είπαν "Ευχαριστούμε andreasgon!" για αυτή τη δημοσίευση:
ByzantineVoice (30-07-17), domesticus (31-07-17), Pappous43 (31-07-17)
Παλιά 31-07-17, 08:16

Thanked 28.931 Times in 4.761 Posts
Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση:
Hello,

Thanks

Chanting cheroubikon is not long time. Long time IS at least a 3-hour akolouthia.

Anyway, a piece of advise. Learn and chant the compositions of Petros Lambadarios. It's more comfortable for your voice and you can adapt a higher base sometimes. Generally, follow such compositions and you will be OK.

Also, I personally keep in my mouth a piece of gum in order to have some moisture inside (of course I don't chew all the time like a goat). I prefer Masticha of Chios, easily obtained in Greece. It helps.
Απάντηση με παράθεση
3 μέλη είπαν "Ευχαριστούμε domesticus!" για αυτή τη δημοσίευση:
ByzantineVoice (31-07-17), Panagiotis G. (10-08-17), Pappous43 (31-07-17)
Παλιά 31-07-17, 09:29
Νέο μέλος

Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση:
Αρχικό μήνυμα απο domesticus Εμφάνιση μηνυμάτων

Chanting cheroubikon is not long time. Long time IS at least a 3-hour akolouthia.

Anyway, a piece of advise. Learn and chant the compositions of Petros Lambadarios. It's more comfortable for your voice and you can adapt a higher base sometimes. Generally, follow such compositions and you will be OK.

Also, I personally keep in my mouth a piece of gum in order to have some moisture inside (of course I don't chew all the time like a goat). I prefer Masticha of Chios, easily obtained in Greece. It helps.
It seems long for me because I cannot end it without getting my voice tired!! I think my mouth gets dry after chanting more than 5 minutes, and I cannot moisture it naturally.

What is the "chant the compositions of Petros Lambadarios"?
Απάντηση με παράθεση
Παλιά 31-07-17, 13:21

Thanked 28.931 Times in 4.761 Posts
Προεπιλογή

Παράθεση:
It seems long for me because I cannot end it without getting my voice tired!! I think my mouth gets dry after chanting more than 5 minutes, and I cannot moisture it naturally.

What is the "chant the compositions of Petros Lambadarios"?
To chant, to sing the music scores by Petros Lambadarios.

Anyway the use of a gum, may improve your problem, otherwise keep a bottle of water near.

Personally, I 'm a chanter for many years and I my mouth never gets dry within 5 minutes.
My voice gets hoarse, let's say after of 25-30 minutes of chanting continuously for example an old koinonikon during Communion, and after chanting the whole orthros and liturgy (with another chanter of course).
Απάντηση με παράθεση
Παλιά 31-07-17, 13:21
Το avatar του χρήστη Pappous43
Παλαιό Μέλος

Περιοχή: Πειραιεύς καί Λακωνία
Thanked 2.334 Times in 451 Posts
Προεπιλογή

As indicated by andreasgon above,
when singing higher notes it is a good idea to lower the volume of your voice
(and thus the effort and strain) and reduce the subsequent hoarseness.
Actually, when you sing higher notes you do not need a large volume
unless you want to become famous of "breaking the glass panes".

There is a correlation between pitch and optimal corresponding volume.
An effort has been made to built-in this in the free BZQ parallagi software.
If you only want to listen to some example troparia,
then you do not need to install BZQ, just listen to the .mp3 examples:

https://bzquality.wordpress.com/examples/

Some people have told me that by doing this
they can sing higher pitches than the could before.

( If you install and use BZQ, you can run whole scales and specific troparia, and see how you can lower your voice in higher pitches)

Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το χρήστη Pappous43 : 31-07-17 στις 13:25.
Απάντηση με παράθεση
Απάντηση στο θέμα

Εργαλεία Θεμάτων
Τρόποι εμφάνισης

Δικαιώματα - Επιλογές