Changing scales midway

sr Paοsia

Νέο μέλος
Okay so here’s my problem.

The first stihera for vespers of Christmas.
Line three where it goes into chromatic, the first word “the” has a Δι and a fthora above it, I understood that we now say this note is Δι when doing parallagi, but on what level is it ? Is it the same as the previous note before the scale changed or is it one up from Bou = Γα, but we say Δι ?

I hope I have managed to upload the music piece.
Thank you very much for your help !

Attachments

• b5325.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 46

neoklis

Νεοκλής Λευκόπουλος, Γενικός Συντονιστής
... one up from Bou = Γα, but we say Δι...

This is the correct answer. At the level of Ga of the original scale (soft chromatic, which is the same level as diatonic Ga.)

neoklis

Νεοκλής Λευκόπουλος, Γενικός Συντονιστής
At the level of Γα you say this note is Δι and you continue with the (hard) chromatic scale from Δι to Πα (which is at the level of original Νη).

antonios

Αετόπουλος Αντώνιος
First you go up from Vou to Ga as if nothing had been there, but you name it Di, and THEN you proceed taking into consideration the hard chromatic fthora. (This is the case here, not everywhere). Hope I was clear enough.

Last edited:

sr Paοsia

Νέο μέλος
Sorry it's me again,

would any of you be so kind as to sing parallagi page 25, it's the 2nd aposticha in tone 3. You will find it in the file above with my first question. There is a funny sign on the third line, the 2nd sign on "reveal.

Many thanks if you can help me with this again.

In Christ

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Sorry it's me again,

would any of you be so kind as to sing parallagi page 25, it's the 2nd aposticha in tone 3. You will find it in the file above with my first question. There is a funny sign on the third line, the 2nd sign on "reveal.

Many thanks if you can help me with this again.

In Christ

Dear Sr Paosia,

The sign in question is an "atzem" fthora - an enharmonic fthora of Zo.

Theoretically speaking, when placed on Ga (as in this case), the interval between the Ga and the Bou is 6 moria.

Practically speaking (in terms of oral tradition), the Bou is attracted upward toward Ga, and actually becomes less than 6 moria.

Some people are very extreme with this attraction, such as Paikopoulos (a practically nonexistent Bou):
https://youtu.be/DkQ0y3YO4WU?list=FLPu4WwYYdtCb1_h01If83Jw

Listening to Tsamkiranis, the two notes are more distinguishable, but the attraction on Bou is very evident: https://youtu.be/yZvQ0Te3vIk

sr Paοsia

Νέο μέλος
Hi, I don't know if I should start a new thread as this is not so complicated. Where can I find an example of how to chant the last line of the kondakion and oikos ?
Thanks

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium
Hi, I don't know if I should start a new thread as this is not so complicated. Where can I find an example of how to chant the last line of the kondakion and oikos ?
Thanks

You can recite it like Apostolos, under the traditional ekphonetic yphos.

An example from the church of the Oecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople, after 49th-50th minute.

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
I would also recommend listening to the Holy Pascha CD of Vatopedi monastery who record the recitation the Kontakia and Oikos with a single monk chanting the Kontakion with the rest of the monks repeating the final line, then with the Oikos plainly read and then the monks chanting the final line: https://youtu.be/5fPE21LXVyg?t=21m30s

Note the chanting of the Kontakion during the Orthros service is not the usual practice but was likely done so because it was for Pascha, as a special thing.

sr Paοsia

Νέο μέλος
Does anyone know if Fr Ephraim of Arizona is still producing music ? It seems he hasn't added any new music in ages. Is he around, ill or ... ?

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Does anyone know if Fr Ephraim of Arizona is still producing music ? It seems he hasn't added any new music in ages. Is he around, ill or ... ?

Although we haven't spoken in a long time, the last I heard was that he has been very busy hearing confessions at the monastery, which doesn't leave him a lot of time to compose music.

This is actually why I began producing scores for my website, http://www.englishmenaion.com/: because so many of the Menaion hymns still need to have music composed for them, and Fr. Ephraim was unable to do so. After speaking with him and learning of his situation, I tried to pick up where he left off, and I have composed a large number of them (the entire months of September and October, most of November and December, and significant chunks of the other months as well), but unfortunately I haven't had time to type up even a small percentage of my hand-written drafts.

In Christ,
Gabriel

Last edited:
Zygos changes the structure of the plagal 4th 5chord as follows:
The dominant grades ni, vu, di remain unaltered while pa raises towards vu by an enharmonic diesis
and ga approaches di, resulting in ga-di=Minimal tone.

In moria
plagal 4th
ni-12-pa-10-vu-8-ga-12-di =42

zygos
ni-15-pa-7-vu-12-ga-8-di =42

And most accurately in Delphic Units
(665/Octave, 113/Major tone, 88/Minor tone, 75/Minimal tone, 63/Apotome, 50/Leima, 25/Enharmonic diesis):

plagal 4th
ni-113-pa-88-vu-75-ga-113-di =389 Delphic Units

zygos
ni-138-pa-63-vu-113-ga-75-di =389 Delphic Units

AK

Last edited: