Lesson 24 - Vespers Idiomela for the Circumcision of Christ - January 1

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Καλά Χριστούγεννα and Merry Christmas to everyone. Hopefully this is in time to help some people - I'm trying to compose some music in English for the Vespers Idiomela of the Circumcision of Christ in Plagal Fourth Mode.

Thus far, I've only composed the second idiomelon, which doubles as the "Both Now" for the Aposticha, I believe.

Attached is the score; any comments/suggestions are more than welcome and appreciated. :) I feel that the first line of the piece is choppy. Also, there's a good bit of repetition in the score, but this same repetition is found in Kyspeli - perhaps for the connection of ideas. However, if it seems that this detracts from the piece, I will try to make it less repetitive.

In Christ,
Gabriel

EDIT:

I've corrected the score in light of several mistakes I found in the score.

Wow, still mistakes. There's a gorgon missing from "salvation" on line 5 of page 1. It should be over top of the kentemata-oligon combination. Sorry folks.

Attachments

• 2nd Circumcision Idiomelon - page 2.pdf
    364.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 2nd Circumcision Idiomelon - page 1 version 2.pdf
    407.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:

GabrielCremeens

Hello all,

I have made some changes to the idiomelon I have already posted, and have also completed the second one. Again, any suggestions or comments are really welcome - especially if they come before Saturday Vespers. :)

Christ is born!
Gabriel

Attachments

• Idiomela of the Circumcision0001.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

GabrielCremeens

Dear Papa Ephraim and Basil,

Forgive me for (unintentionally) re-composing the first idiomelon. I did not realize that Basil had already composed music for it, as can be seen in the thread below. I didn't find it in the forum for compositions for the Divine Music Project, nor on Basil's own webpage, so I stumbled across it today while gathering some music for a project at school.

http://analogion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14751

In Christ,
Gabriel