Abstract Submission Deadline Reminder for 3rd Int'l Conference of the ASBMH

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Reminder: The deadline for submission of abstracts is AUGUST 22, 2011.

NG

BYZANTINE MUSICAL CULTURE
October 29- November 2, 2011
Paeanea, Attica, Greece

DEDICATED IN MEMORIAM TO ILIAS TANTALIDES

It is a pleasure to announce the Third International Conference "Byzantine Musical Culture", a series which began in 2007 and takes place every two years. The Conferences focus on all scholarly musical, musicological, artistic, poetic and literary aspects relevant to the global theme of Byzantine Musical Culture and are open to academic scholars as well as practicing musicians and independent scholars. The Conferences also includes musical soirees, cultural events and visits to theme-related sites of interest.

The Conferences’ general focus on "Byzantine Musical Culture" shapes this year's theme:

“The Contribution of the Great Church of Christ
to Byzantine Musical Culture”.

Additionally, this year’s Conference is dedicated to the poet Ilias Tantalides. Moreover, the opening ceremonies will unveil, for the first time, a dedication to the art genius of Ioannes Skarlatos.

The Conferences are co-organised by the American Society of Byzantine Music and Hymnology (ASBMH) of the University of Pittsburgh and the European Art Center for the Study of the Culture and Civilisation of the Eastern Roman State in Europe (EUARCE) which is also an advisor to the Society.

Call for Papers:

The theme of the Conference is “The Contribution of the Great Church of Christ, the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, to Byzantine Musical Culture”.

Any topic that meets the philosophy of the theme will be considered. Topics include, but are not limited to:

-Musicians of the Ecumenical Patriarchate and their contributions
-People of Letters of the Great Church of Christ and their contributions
-Artists and Iconographers of the Great Church of Christ
-Officials of the Great Church of Christ and their contribution
-The evolution of chant of the tradition of the Great Church of Christ
-Evolution of music and hymnography of the Great Church of Christ
-Monody vs. Choral chant
-Musical Committees of the Great Church of Christ
-Music schools and conservatoriums of Constantinople
-The influence of Byzantine Musical Culture of the Great Church on the culture of other Christian denominations and practices
-The Typikon of the Great Church of Christ, evolution and sources

There is a two-step process to participate as a presenter at the plenary sessions (October 31-November 2, 2011).

First, is by submitting an abstract of no more than 500 words. Preface the abstract with your name, complete contact details (mailing address, telephone, email address), institutional affiliation (if applicable) and the title of your presentation.

A committee will evaluate the abstract and determine its suitability for presentation at the conference.

For more details, please consult the details at:
http://www.asbmh.pitt.edu/Conference2011/index.html

Kavouras

Νέο μέλος
Hi Nikolaos.

It would be great if I could attend one of these great conferences, but I think I'm WAY too under-qualified to be a part of it.

Just wondering though, don't you think the title should read:

"the Contribution of Byzantine Musical Culture to the Great Church of Christ"?

I'm not wanting to pick a fight or anything, I thought people learned byz music so they could use it in Church. But then again shows what I know.

Sounds neat though. Is there a way to look up the past conferences on a website so those of us who can't attend or would like to learn more can do so?

God bless you,

-Dimitri K.

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Dimitri,

Thank you for your interest.

1) No one is over- or under-qualified so long as what they present adds to the corpus of knowledge on the thematic topics.

2) You don't need a doctorate to unveil novel discoveries, a new angle on a topic, and so on. Past conferences have included journalists, poets, sculptors, physicists, in addition to chantors and musicians/musicologists.

If you believe that you can add to the body of knowledge and experience that fall within the scope of the thematic topics, then do not be dissuaded from submitting your abstract.

Links to material from the past two conferences:

http://www.asbmh.pitt.edu/page9/page9.html

Last, on the wording of the theme, Byzantine music developed as a musical expression of liturgical poetry. The Great Church of Christ was one of the centers of its evolution and thus, this conference is interested in how the Great Church of Christ and individuals/entities associated with it, shaped BM.

It was our conscious choice to be very specific on the theme.

NG