Divine Liturgy Antiphons on Ordinary Sundays

age234

Νέο μέλος
I have a fairly basic question. I am a member of the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America. The common practice in our Church is to chant the antiphons at Divine Liturgy without any Psalm verses, except on great feasts and during Paschaltide. So, this is the usual format:

First Antiphon:
Through the intercessions of the Theotokos...
Glory...
Both now...

Second Antiphon:
Save us, O Son of God...
Save us, O Son of God...
Glory...
Save us, O Son of God...
Both now...
Only begotten Son...

Third Antiphon:
Resurrection troparion

Nevertheless, I am curious: what Psalm verses are supposed to be chanted during the antiphons on ordinary Sundays that have no festal verses? Are the same ones used throughout the year, or is there a cycle?

(Personally, I wish we still sang the Typica, but alas.)

Thank you,
John

Last edited:

goldengreek25

Μέλος
The 1st Antiphon.​

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me bless his holy name.
Through the intercessions of the Theotokos, O Saviour, save us.

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all that he hath done for thee.

The Lord in heaven hath prepared his throne, and his kingdom ruleth over all.

Glory and Both now.

The 2nd Antiphon.​
Praise the Lord, O my soul. I will praise the Lord in my life, I will chant unto my God for as long as I have my being.
Save us, O Son of God, who art wondrous in the Saints, who sing to thee: Alleluia.

Blessed is he of whom the God of Jacob is his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God.
Save us, O Son of God, who art wondrous in the Saints, who sing to thee: Alleluia.

The Lord shall be king unto eternity; thy God, O Sion, unto generation and generation.

Glory and Both now.
O only-begotten Son and Word of God …

age234

Νέο μέλος
Thanks, goldengreek25.

I have heard a recording of the Third Antiphon before. Would this be correct?

This is the day which the Lord hath made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
(Resurrection troparion)

Let the heavens and the earth sing His praise.
(Resurrection troparion)

age234

Νέο μέλος
I just noticed that the antiphons posted above are for weekdays.

"Save us, O Son of God, who art wondrous in the saints..."

Would these same verses be chanted on Sundays? Or are there different ones?

goldengreek25

Μέλος
Hmm, I apologize if I was too hasty in my response, because this is a complicated issue.

The verses I have included above are used on Sundays (for those who do not chant the Typika), when we are not during the celebration of one of the Great Feasts. Thus the second antiphon should read:
"Save us, O Son of God, who didst rise from the dead..."

I found the following, which I believe is based on Violakis' typikon:
"On the Typika and Makarismoi [Beatitudes]
36. In each Sunday Liturgy, it is essential that the Typika and Makarismoi be chanted with the eight resurrectional troparia of the Oktoechos; when a Sunday happens to be a fore-feast or after-feast of a Feast of the Master or the Mother of God, or the commemoration of a celebrated Saint, four of the Makarismoi troparia are chanted and four from the sixth ode of the kanon of the feast or Saint.

On the Antiphons
The antiphons are chanted with the appropriate verses at every Feast of the Master, no matter what day it falls; but if their leave-taking falls on a Sunday, the second antiphon uses the characteristic phrase of the Feast, not the Resurrection. When a Feast of the Mother of God falls on a Sunday, or its leave-taking, the second antiphon is the resurrectional Save us, O Son of God, Who didst rise from the dead; but if it falls on any other day, the 2nd Antiphon is Save us… Who art wondrous in thy saints, on the Feast of the Meeting, Who was held in the embrace of the righteous Symeon, and for the Annunciation, Who took on flesh for us. The antiphons for Pascha are now customarily chanted each day until the leave-taking, although the ancient typika say that from the Sunday of Antipascha the Typika and Makarismoi are to be used, and instead of the Entrance Hymn the Come, let us worship… Who didst rise from the dead. On the commemorations of celebrated Saints, no matter what day of the week they occur, the Typika are used, since the Saints have no verses for antiphons. On weekday liturgies [i.e. daily liturgies not for a widely celebrated feast]: the antiphons, It is good to confess the Lord… Through the intercessions of the Theotokos… the 2nd antiphon, The Lord reigns… Through the intercessions of thy Saints, Lord, save us, the 3rd, Come, let us rejoice in the Lord… Save us, O Son…Who art wondrous in thy Saints (see these Antiphons in the Particular Diataxis for the Service of the day [which would normally be found in the Menaion])."

Currently I don't have these verses for daily Divine Liturgies in English, but I'm sure they exist online somewhere.

I should mention, though, that there is considerable variation (unfortunately) in practice among the various parishes that I have visited.

Finally, I should say that though I am a chanter, I am not an expert in the Typikon, so I appreciate any helpful guidance from others.

Last edited:

goldengreek25

Μέλος
Here are the verses described above for the daily Divine Liturgy:

I.
It is good to give praise unto the Lord, and to chant unto Thy name, O Most High.
Through the intercessions of the Theotokos, Savior, save us.

To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.

For upright is the Lord our God, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.Through the intercessions of the Theotokos, Savior, save us.

Glory, Both now.

II.
The Lord reigns, He is clothed with majesty; the Lord is clothed with strength and He hath girt Himself.
Through the intercessions of Thy Saints, save us, O Lord.

For He established the world which shall not be shaken.

Holiness becometh Thy house, O Lord, unto length of days.

Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Through the intercession of Thy Saints, save us, O Lord.

Both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
O Only-begotten Son of God...

III.
Come, let us rejoice in the Lord, let us shout with jubilation unto God our Saviour.
Save us, O Son of God, Who art wondrous in the Saints, save us who chant, Alleluia.

Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.

For the Lord is a great God and a great King over all the earth.
Save us, O Son of God, Who art wondrous in the Saints, save us who chant, Alleluia.

For in His hand are the ends of the earth and the heights of the maountains are His. For the sea is His, and He made it; and the dry land His hands have fashioned.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I've found a lot of Greek parish psaltai in the US don't even seem to know these exist, and will default to the "Sunday Antiphons" on the weekdays. Who's to blame though, as most parishes keep a pretty paltry liturgical schedule during the weekdays.

JPP