Republication of the Pentecostarion by Holy Transfiguration Monastery

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος

andrew_9687

Νέο μέλος
I have the 1990 edition and I'm trying to decide if buying the new one is justified. Can someone who has both give a rundown of the differences?

v/r
Andrew McBroom

There has been quite a bit of work done on the translation. Not being anything close to an expert in Greek translation to English, it is my impression that the translation work is an improvement. The metered prosomia definitely seems cleaner.

the unworthy reader,
Michael

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
There has been quite a bit of work done on the translation. Not being anything close to an expert in Greek translation to English, it is my impression that the translation work is an improvement. The metered prosomia definitely seems cleaner.

the unworthy reader,
Michael

I had been setting the Sundays using the previous "red-back" edition, which was wiped out when my flash drive crashed. It was serendipitous, as the new edition came out shortly thereafter.

I found that they cleaned up a lot -in general I found that they opted for lexical succinctness, which was, in the end easier to set.

JPP

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have the 1990 edition and I'm trying to decide if buying the new one is justified. Can someone who has both give a rundown of the differences?

v/r
Andrew McBroom

Andrew -I primarily looked at the Sundays -the differences are subtle in many cases, but overall, they opted for slightly more succinct wording, which I found remarkably easier to set to melody. It is definitely more friendly to aging eyes in the larger type face.

Since the Boston crowd began openly embracing the Bulatovic heresy, I have been rather cautious about them, but their liturgical books generally are pretty middle of the road, although there are a couple of spots in the Menaion where they get a little "name-worshippy". I couldn't find anything in the Pentecostarion that was excessively worrisome.

No buyers remorse here.

JPP