Leitourgika

sr Paοsia

Νέο μέλος
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help.

We would like to sing the liturgy in another tone, but I have heard that only the parts in the leitourgika can be changed. What are those parts exactly ? I have heard the cherubic hymn in different tones. Is it only the anaphora and Only betogotten Son that do not change ? i hope someone can answer before Thursday.
Many thanks in advance
Sr P

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium

We would like to sing the liturgy in another tone, but I have heard that only the parts in the leitourgika can be changed. What are those parts exactly ? I have heard the cherubic hymn in different tones. Is it only the anaphora and Only betogotten Son that do not change ? i hope someone can answer before Thursday.
Many thanks in advance
Sr P

Usually, the Kyrie eleison are in mode plagal fourth, the antiphons in second mode. The trisagion hymn most of the times follows the second mode, but sometimes is chanted in first mode or first plagal. Not so often is chanted following the other six modes. Cherubic Hymn follows the mode of the day and we have a great variety of compositions for every mode. The same for the Anaphora and Axion Estin, usually in the same mode with Cherubic Hymn. The Communion hymn also, with numerous pieces to choose from.

Of course, all the above depends on the musical knowledge and ability of the chanter.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος

Many thanks in advance
Sr P

Certain things generally DO NOT change -the 1st two Antiphons (not the Typica psalms) are always chanted in Mode 2. The Trisagion traditionally is chanted in Mode 2 (although there are some variances of practice).

Most often by convention, the first litany is in Plagal 4.

Cherubic Hymns have a very large classical and post classical selection (some psaltai, like Taliadoros, "free style" improvise, but ...that's Taliadoros).

TRADITIONALLY (and I will stress that) in the Patriarchion, the responses for the preface and Sanctus of the Anaphora are plainchanted in Kliton, and the Axion Estin is done in the "ordinary" Second Mode. Again, as before, there has been deviance from this practice in the last several decades.

Communion Hymn -large repertoire

We have Seen the True Light -second mode , plirothito (if done) second Mode

Blessed be the Name of the Lord -Second Mode

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Let's be careful - is it any less 'traditional' to chant the Leitourgika in the mode of the week? Kliton may be the older practice but the practice of chanting in the mode of the week evolved within the tradition and even those experts in paleography (cf. Arvanitis) are composing Leitourgika in the 8 modes.

Arguably a kliton anaphora is appropriate for a Saturday of the Souls liturgy for instance, or a weekday liturgy, but this isn't a super recent practice, certainly at least 200 or so years old.

There's evidence that the Great Doxology may have been always chanted in 2nd mode. Should we go back to that practice? :)

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium
Let's be careful - is it any less 'traditional' to chant the Leitourgika in the mode of the week? Kliton may be the older practice but the practice of chanting in the mode of the week evolved within the tradition and even those experts in paleography (cf. Arvanitis) are composing Leitourgika in the 8 modes.

Arguably a kliton anaphora is appropriate for a Saturday of the Souls liturgy for instance, or a weekday liturgy, but this isn't a super recent practice, certainly at least 200 or so years old.

There's evidence that the Great Doxology may have been always chanted in 2nd mode. Should we go back to that practice? :)

Mode of the week refers to ORTHROS, and it's obligatory to chant specific hymns from PARAKLETIKI under specific mode, different every week.

About Liturgy, there 's no obligation to follow any mode. The only tradition we know it is to chant following the kliton way. Kliton is essentially the ekphonetic way, a very ancient tradition of the church.

If a chanter can chant only one cheroubikon there is no problem to chant it all the time. BUT during orthros he/she should know -even without musical notaion- how to follow the eight modes of PARAKLETIKI.

Also, the Liturgy is the same ALL days of the week. I think it's not appropriate to chant with gusto on Sunday and fast forward the other days.

PS. For liturgy there is a cycle of modes -not obligatory of course. 1st on Monday, Varys on Tuesday, 4th on Wednesday, 4th plagal on Thursday, 1st plagal on Friday.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος

My intent wasn't to invalidate the practice, but to emphasize that was the preferred practice of the Patriarchate, as I understand up to a certain point.

Just an aside note, I wrote the Kliton Anaphora into my published liturgy book that we use, largely at the behest of our proastamenos who wanted the focus of that part of the Liturgy to be on the priest's action at the Altar than the choir's response, but it took me several years to implement. It certainly moves late night liturgies like Pascha along.

Just a note: I still use John Glykis Sanctus for St. Basil Liturgies.

JPP