To The Ecclesiastic Typikon and Chant Tradition
Of the Great Church of Christ

A month - long intensive study program
Sponsored by the
American Society of Byzantine Music and Hymnology
(www.asbmh.pitt.edu)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
August 2 - 28, 2010

The Society officially announces the month-long intensive study program for August.

It will consist of weekday 3-hour educational/practical sessions that focus on every aspect of Byzantine musical and ecclesiological tradition relevant for, and aimed at those who want to learn the music and the practices at the analogion according to authentic Patriarchal tradition. The program is tailored for those with very little - intermediate expertise/experience at the analogion or as part of an ecclesiastic choir. Concurrently, it also serves those with an interest in Byzantine chant/hymnography in general.

The idea behind an intensive month-long period of study was based on the requests of many who follow our weekly 2-hour live internet lessons (also available archived since January 2010) as well as the comprehensive material kindly provided to us by George Hatzichronoglou, Archon Hymnodist of the Great Church of Christ. For more information on these facilities: http://www.asbmh.pitt.edu/page21/page21.html

As useful as these live and archived online lessons are, many participants feel that a personal approach, in the English language and with English material, with instructors officially and systematically trained in the strict and authenic Patriarchal tradition and recognized by the most renowned and traditional chanters in Greece would be of considerable benefit. The Society has concluded that the month of August is the best time in the USA to hold a month-long intensive session given the additional "hands-on" environment available in the Paraclesis and vespers services, orthros and liturgies of a number of feasts in August.

Other than travel and accomodations, there are no costs (registration, materials) to the participants. The Main Educational Program will be offered at St-Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Oakland (Pittsburgh) on weekdays between 9:30-noon. The Cathedral is within a short walking distance of three hotels and a discounted rate will be available for registered participants. Many fine, inexpensive restaurants are within walking distance of the hotels and the Cathedral.

For more information, and/or to register, send your name, address, telephone number, email address as well as a brief paragraph outlining your background, and your objectives towards the practice or interest in Byzantine chant, music and practice at:

http://www.asbmh.pitt.edu/page7/page7.html

PRELIMINARY PROGRAM

Week 1 (August 2 - 6; Monday-Friday)

Monday-Friday
9:30-noon (except for August 6th; 11:30 am - 2:30 pm)

1. A history of musical tradition in Eastern Orthodox Christianity and an introduction to the hymnography of the Eastern Roman Empire

2. An Introduction to the ecclesiastic music from the time of the Eastern Roman Empire to the post-Byzantine period, eirmologic-stichiraric-papadic hymnology

3. The fundamentals of the Byzantine sound. Genera, Tones and Notation System

4. Introduction to the Chrysanthine Notation and the Diatonic Generum I

5. Chrysanthine Notation and the Diatonic Generum II

Vespers of the Transfiguration on August 5 at 6:30 pm
Orthros-Liturgy of the Transfiguration on August 6 at 8:30 am

NOTES:

i) Every evening, the participants can choose to chant together at the Paraclesis service or vespers service
ii) The musical material to be used will be courtesy of Fr. Ephraim and the Monastery of St-Anthony, Arizona USA, with their permission. Some material will be printed and some will be provided on CD as pdf files.

Saturday 10:00 AM-6:00 PM

i) The Analogion - Traditional and practical considerations
ii) An overview of the Typikon and traditional psaltic practices
iii) Isokratima - what is traditional and what is not

Sunday AM: Orthros-Liturgy

Week 2 (August 9 - 13; Monday-Friday)

1. The Diatonic Generum and the Diatonic Tones, Eirmologic-Stichiraric considerations

2. Plagal Fourth Tone overview

3. First Tone overview

4. Plagal First Tone overview

5. Fourth Tone overview

***Every evening, the participants can choose to chant together at the Paraclesis service or vespers service

Saturday: Free day

Week 3 (August 16 - 20; Monday-Friday)

1. The Chromatic Generum

2. Soft Chromatic I (Second Tone and Plagal Second Tone)

3. Soft Chromatic II (Second Tone and Plagal Second Tone)

4. Hard Chromatic I (Second Tone and Plagal Second Tone)

5. Hard Chromatic II (Second Tone and Plagal Second Tone)

Saturday: Free day

Week 4 (August 23 - 27; Monday-Friday)

1. The Enharmonic Generum - Third Tone

2. Third Tone II - Grave Tone enharmonic I

3. Grave Tone enharmonic II

4. Grave Tone-special considerations as diatonic I

5. Grave Tone-special considerations as diatonic II

Saturday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

i) The structure of the services in the tradition and practice of the Great Church of Christ: Vespers, Orthros and Liturgy
ii) Considerations and practices for special feast days
iii) Musical considerations: What is traditional and what is not in an American context and in line with the spirit of the Great Church of Christ

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Not for this program. Instead, we will offer material for beginner's in a more systematic manner.

The Program is abridged and intended to cover a year's worth of material in one month.

With online, we will strive to be systematic and comprehensive.

NG