Two MSS from UK

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Here is an excerpt from Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of London (Second Series, Vol. 7) with a note on two Byzantine mss in possession of a certain Colin Campbell and the society itself. The first ms is Papadike apparently from the 17th c. a large part of which is possibly written by Balasios (p. 310). The second one is a Papadike written between 1427 and 1439 (p. 311; the text talks about 1437, but this must be a mistake). Two photographs are also supplied, the first has "Deute proskynisomen" at the beginning of the Vespers service, the second one the acclamations for the Emperor John, his wife Mary and the Patriach Joseph. The ms contains some notes at the end, among which is a halva recipe :D (p. 312; contrary to what the commentary says it is unlikely that it belongs to the original scribe). There is also a watermark supplied, which might help in narrowing the chronological bounds within which the ms was written. I'm not aware of the subsequent fate of these two mss.

Attachments

• proceedings7.pdf
    14.7 MB · Views: 25

Emmanouil Giannopoulos

Emmanouil Giannopoulos
The second ms is the n. 48 of the collection of the Society of Antiquaries of London. The ms is described analytically in this book where you can find some plates including the two pages which are also have been included in the Proceedings Shota mentioned. I ascertained that the volume was written by the well known musician David from Raidestos.
Conserning the first ms I wouldn't like to say something now, I have to see my notes.

Last edited: