Intervals for 4th Mode "Agia"

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Good morning (well morning where I am):

Was wondering if someone with (preferably) strong knowledge and experience could provide specific intervals (i.e. the Kommata) for Agia.

From recordings I've heard and notes I've read online I understand that Ga and Ke are sharp on ascent but if someone knowledgeable could comment on specifically how sharp that would be appreciate.

My understanding is that otherwise Agia follows the attraction rules for Diatonic (i.e. Zo natural on ascent but flat on descent) but feel free to set me straight.

Thank you!

Ross

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ross, textbooks will say the intervals are the diatonic ones

NH 12 10 8 12 12 10 8 NH'

However, these in practice become different depending on the progression of the melody. PA may be sharper when the melody revolves around BOY. GA is generally sharper when the melody revolves around DI. KE is generally sharper when the melody revolves around ZO and sometimes even on descent (when the melody subsequently rests on DI). ZO' may also be slightly sharper when the melody revolves around NH' in certain theseis.

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Hi Ross, textbooks will say the intervals are the diatonic ones

NH 12 10 8 12 12 10 8 NH'

However, these in practice become different depending on the progression of the melody. PA may be sharper when the melody revolves around BOY. GA is generally sharper when the melody revolves around DI. KE is generally sharper when the melody revolves around ZO and sometimes even on descent (when the melody subsequently rests on DI). ZO' may also be slightly sharper when the melody revolves around NH' in certain theseis.

Thanks Dimitri - that's helpful. I suppose it then essentially comes down to knowing what to do experientially and listening to psaltis that know what they're doing.