2014 Pan-Orthodox Liturgical Music Symposium

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Per its Facebook Group

"June 12-15, 2014 Northern Kentucky University (Greater Cincinnati Region)

The 2014 Pan-Orthodox Liturgical Music Symposium is a four-day event specifically dedicated to singers, conductors, and composers of all Orthodox traditions. The symposium will encourage and explore the current state of Orthodox choral composition in the English-speaking world today. The event will include opportunities for participants to sing newly written choral works, to participate in discussions, to hear presentations, and to attend a very special concert featuring the East/West Festival Choir. The symposium will conclude with an All-Night Vigil and Divine Liturgy at the newly- constructed St. George Orthodox Church in Cincinnati, Ohio with services featuring liturgical music composed mostly in the last 20 years."

I'm probably not the only person who takes exception to any "symposium" that calls itself Pan-Orthodox and whose only "representative" from our Exarchate is Tikey Zes and at least thus far no one representing the living tradition of Psaltiki and skewing heavily toward the current Russian paradigms.

Part of my reaction is to say "who cares?" but on the other hand this does not represent the majority of Orthodox musical liturgical traditions and thus a gross misnomer.

gpsevdos

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thank you Nick.
interesting appointment. very curious how the choir will sound: influence from Russian "tetrafona" compositions, or more influence from pieces heard in the catholic church!

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
It's not a question of how they will sound. That is irrelevant.

It's a matter of is this permissible under the Orthodox Tradition? This creates the impression that those who are responsible for overseeing that the traditions are not violated either have no control over the matter or do not care.

This appointment, fresh on the heels of these revelations:

http://dogma.gr/default.php?pname=Article&art_id=3644&catid=19

What other outliers will we see next in the Archdiocese?

Lady Gaga performing the Doxastikon of Kassiane next Holy Tuesday in 2014 at a Cathedral near you?

NG.

gpsevdos

Παλαιό Μέλος
You are right Nick!
I agree with you.
I am not a member there. I only go if both orthro and leiturgia are chanted in Byzantine music (which is rare) and sometimes I help

the second article is also very interesting. insane cost for a choir! 200000$ annually! wow. (one of my patients (non-greek, opera singer) has participated few sundays in the choir as "invited guest"; but never asked him what was his compensation...!)

by the way Nick
see link below. the Archdiocesan Byzantine Choir is going to Constantinople!
very excited. never been in Poli.

http://www.asbm.goarch.org/eptrip2013/

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
" the Archdiocesan Byzantine Choir is going to Constantinople!"

Congratulations and AXIOI! I am confident that its presentation will be nothing but Tradition. Godspeed!

NG