New Professor of BM at Holy Cross Seminary

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
It is my honour to announce to the Psaltologion forum that Mr. Grammenos (Menios) Karanos is the new professor of Byzantine Music at the Holy Cross Seminary of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.

Dr. Karanos was awarded his doctorate in Musicology in Greece with mentor Professor Grigorios Stathis. The topic focuses on Kalophonic hymnology and hymnography. Menios is the newest in an established line of exceptional and traditional teachers at Holy Cross from the time of the late beloved Savvas Savvas. He is gifted with a mellifluous vocal talent and expresses the Patriarchal and Constantinopolitan manner of chant. He follows the footsteps of Archon Photios Ketsetzis in this regard. He was an assistant to Archon Ketsetzis for a number of years in the Byzantine Music courses and he is beloved by the student body.

For a complete bio:

http://hchc.academia.edu/GrammenosKaranos

I believe that Menios' appointment comes at a critical time in America where Byzantine Music is concerned. I am confident that he will innovate the curriculum while being faithful to the traditions of the Mother Church, the Great Church of Christ.

To colleagues (young and old alike, seminarian and not) in the Americas, please join me in congratulating Menios and in loudly proclaiming him:

AXIOS!

I wish him a good beginning, a productive year and a fruitful service to the seminary and to BM in the Americas.

NG

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
AXIOS!!

May God always bless him, and continually give him the courage and guidance to continue promoting this sacred art of Byzantine Music according to the Traditions of the Great Church of Christ.

Menio, congratulations and may God be with you! If you ever need anything, you know that all you need to do is ask.

Apostolos

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Glad this is finally known to the general public, not just the student body of HCHC. Congratulations to Dr. Menios Karanos! :)

-G

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Many Years Dr. Karanos. I recall a few spirited conversations with him on the old Yahoo Byzantine chant Group. I could not think of a more qualified candidate.

JPP