Psalm 112 - Defteroprotos

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Christ is risen!

Attached to this post is a draft of an English adaptation of Simonopetra's Psalm 112 (Αινείτε παίδες Κύριον). I tried to limit myself to theseis that were used in the original, although I was not entirely successful in this regard, I think, and I found myself using almost the same diatonic cadence on pa, many times, whereas the Greek used several different ones. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F-zYNEgBsc (This is a recording of the Greek)

In Christ,
Gabriel

Attachments

• Psalm 112.pdf
    581.2 KB · Views: 153

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Christ is risen!

Attached to this post is a draft of an English adaptation of Simonopetra's Psalm 112 (Αινείτε παίδες Κύριον). I tried to limit myself to theseis that were used in the original, although I was not entirely successful in this regard, I think, and I found myself using almost the same diatonic cadence on pa, many times, whereas the Greek used several different ones. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F-zYNEgBsc (This is a recording of the Greek)

In Christ,
Gabriel

Gabe,

Your standards are obviously high - I think you did a fantastic job capturing the ethos of the original composition being context sensitive with how you've contoured the melody in each verse. You've retained the quotations from the old sticherarion without performing acrobatics to do so (i.e. not just for their own sake).

At the moment anyway, I can't think of other opportunities to incorporate other diatonic cadences beyond what you did, but there are others here that know more about composition that can probably give their two cents.

I hope to be able to use this score one day soon. Thank you for your efforts.

R.

romanos4

Παλαιό Μέλος
Gabriel,

One thing I noticed having tried chanting this today:

In the fifth verse on the martyria following"...God?" you indicate a soft chromatic pthora over di meaning to move out of diatonic (di = pa) however there is no initial diatonic pthora so it's unclear where the score should enter diatonic - if I had to make a guess I'd say at "Lord" at the kentimata above the oligon but I'll look forward to seeing what you decide.

I really enjoyed chanting this score as the laity received communion today - very faithful to the original, prayerful and the material of the psalm is certainly not inappropriate for this time of the service.

Thank you again,

R.