Request for volunteers for the English section of the forum

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Hi all, I have been thinking since some time now to start linking topics form the Greek-language part of the forum to the English-language section. Not all topics would need to be linked, just the most important ones in your opinion, topics that might be useful for (mainly) English-speaking visitors of the forum. Even though they may not be able to follow the discussions in Greek, they will probably find it useful to be able to browse for content (scores/recordings) and to get an idea of what is being presented in the Greek section of the forum.

This is by no means a small task and I do not think of it as a timeboxed or single-person effort, rather a continuing habit for those that agree that it would be a useful thing to do.

So, I thank all volunteers in advance!

Example:

New topic title (under History subforum): The roots of the Octoechos
New topic contents: Relevant topic in the Greek section of the forum here.

and so on, for other topics.

stapaman

Εφησυχάζων & ενίοτε προξενών αλγεινάς εντυπώσεις δ
Hi Dimitri!

So, if I get this right, we just visit the english section, and when/wherever we find a topic also existing in the greek section, we just mention the "greek" link in the english section?

Thanks!

Dimitri

Staff member
As I said in the first post, we would link topics that we thought would be most interesting for English-speaking readers of the forum. I would imagine that topics from recordings, scores, typikon and book reviews, would be first priorities. Up to you really.

Thanks.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
As I said in the first post, we would link topics that we thought would be most interesting for English-speaking readers of the forum. I would imagine that topics from recordings, scores, typikon and book reviews, would be first priorities. Up to you really.

Thanks.

Forgive me, Dimitri --Why is there a bifurcation Greek/English in the first place --My Greek is not very strong, and I think our brother Greek psaltai have a lot to share with our understanding of Byzantine music -it's a pity that the two cannot at least be in tandem. Otherwise, I get the feeling sometimes of being in the "xeni" ghetto.

John, sinner and psaltis

Dimitri

Staff member
Chronia polla John, the reasons for the split are only practical. I don't know what you mean by "in tandem" here. I have seen bilingual forums where posts in the same topic can be in either language. That doesn't work for people who speak only one of the accepted languages and therefore they cannot follow the conversation, are always asking for translations etc. If you can suggest a better solution please do. Thank you.

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
My Greek is VERY limited, so the way I can follow the Greek section and pick up valuable scores, recordings, etc., etc. is to dump the link to the forum into Google Reader, which has a convenient translation function. The translations are horrible and will sometimes translate things that can confuse the reader, but for the most part, it gives me the general idea of what is being said and what the recordings and pieces are.

Hat tip to Basil Crow for showing me this little trick.