"Kanon of Theotokos" from Simonopetra

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Hello all;

I've attempted to transcribe the following recording from Simonopetra; it is a combination of several different Odes from different Kanons in the Theotokarion of St. Nikodemos.

(I want to preface the following section with an acknowledgement that I am aware that Western staff notation is incapable of conveying the microtonal pitches and other subtleties of Byzantine chant. However, I do not yet know Byzantine notation; thus, I am occupying myself with Western notation transcripts until the ASBMH starts the "complete beginners" online Byzantine chant course after Pascha.)

The Kanon I transcribed can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eHD2IUViBg
(By the way, can anyone tell me what CD this is from? Is it Simonopetra's Orthros CD?)

I have attached to this message, 1) My Western notation transcription of the Kanon as chanted on the recording, 2) The scanned pages of the book that contains the words to the hymns, 3) Fr. Nicholas Palis's rough, unedited, un-metered translation of the hymns (for those who want to know what is being chanted).

Anyway, since I completed my initial "rough" transcription, I have wanted to make a more permanent "final" transcription, in which I correct my mistakes, make the transcription look slightly more professional, darker (thus easier to photocopy), etc.

There are a couple sections that I am uncertain if I transcribed correctly (especially the sections that I have enclosed in large parentheses; these I basically just guessed on, because I couldn't tell what was being chanted). Thus, if anyone has a couple minutes free (and a good musical ear), any suggestions, corrections, etc would be greatly appreciated!

I apologize in advance for any incorrect (or missing) accent marks, etc, on my Greek... and for all other mistakes that my transcription contains. Again, any help here would be appreciated.

On a related note, does anyone know where I can find the words (in polytonic Greek font) to the Heirmosi "Ιλασθητι μοι Σωτηρ" and "Ησαια χορευε"? I'd like to include these as well in my "final" transcription.

Thanks again! Comments, corrections, any sort of constructive criticism, would be greatly appreciated. :)

Also, if anyone has better scans of these pages and is willing to share, that would be great... it can be difficult to tell what a specific accent mark is, sometimes.

Edit- never mind about the heirmosi, I just found them:

«Ἱλάσθητί μοι Σωτήρ· πολλαὶ γὰρ αἱ ἀνομίαι μου, καὶ ἐκ βυθοῦ τῶν κακῶν, ἀνάγαγε δέομαι· πρὸς σὲ γὰρ ἐβόησα, καὶ ἐπάκουσόν μου, ὁ Θεὸς τῆς σωτηρίας μου».

«Ἡσαΐα χόρευε, ἡ Παρθένος ἔσχεν ἐν γαστρί, καὶ ἔτεκεν υἱὸν τὸν Ἐμμανουήλ, Θεόν τε καὶ ἄνθρωπον, Ἀνατολὴ ὄνομα αὐτῷ· ὃν μεγαλύνοντες, τὴν Παρθένον μακαρίζομεν».

Attachments

• Kanon.pdf
    8.4 MB · Views: 125
  • Greek Text.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 74
  • Simonopetratheotokarion.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

GabrielCremeens

Actually, can anyone tell me where I can find an online version (scans, I suppose) of the Theotokarion of St. Nikodemos? As I mentioned in the above post, I'm having a little trouble telling what the specific accent marks are in some spots in the Greek text; a more high-quality scan of pages from the book would be good. Does anyone know where I can find an online version of this book?

GabrielCremeens

Check this post.

Thanks; I did as you suggested. However, one of the Theotokaria does not contain the odes I transcribed; the other is the one I used for the project (i.e. the one in which the scans are not always high-quality!).

But thanks anyway.

Any other suggestions?