Chronos Problem

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I am trying to correct a chronos problem amongst our Left Choir -they had adopted and augmented to some degree a bad habit amongst our associated monastic community of chanting in a rushed "machine gun" style much as the Russians do, without much regard to overall chronos --when confronted I get the "no bar lines/no rhythm". My Right chanters all execute and interpret a pretty reliable chronos in contrast when chanting ias Choir.

Any suggestions?

JPP

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking about rhythm or tempo here? The standard psaltic etiquette is that the left choir has to follow the style of the right choir so that there is harmony. If that argument is not enough you can give them books with ... bars :wink: Also think of involving the priest's opinion too (if it's worth it). If that doesn't work, you may be able to discuss and agree on the tempi of various pieces before the service starts so that there are no surprises. Not sure if I answer your question.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Thanks Dimitri --it is a problem with both tempo and meter. You suggestion and etiquette context is most helpful. Thank you.

JPP

Π. Δαβίδ

Γενικός συντονιστής
Have they tried rehearsing with a metronome? The Patriarchal Committee of 1881 highly recommends it.