Transcriptions of Byzantine Vocalizations

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
I wanted to create a thread to discuss the work that has been done so far in transcribing and organizing the various vocalizations or developments that are employed when rendering a written score in sound.

I was told that Dimitrios Nerantzis did some work in this area, although I do not have any details. Certainly, the samples in this article are promising.

The biography for Fr. Dositheos Katounakiotis mentions that he "transcribed many developments of various musical formulae, which he has organised in systematic manner." I do not have any other details.

I was also told that Dimitrios Panagiotopoulos transcribed some developments of musical formulae in one of his books, but I do not know which book or the extent of his work.

I would appreciate any further information on this topic.

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Basil,

The question of vocal "exegesis" of the various neumes with a qualitative aspect to them has been debated to the point where individuals at meetings almost got into fistfights (!) While Kiltzanides is possibly the first individual in the 1800s to put together a list of vocal interpretations, and later teachers like Phokaeus, Alexandros Byzantios and more contemporary teachers like Panagiotopoulos, Eythymiadis have tried to list all the variations they have heard, nevertheless, they all use (for example) the petasti somewhere in an "exegetic" sequence to deconstruct the.....petasti!

An exegetic survey of how chantor A and B perform (rather interpret) a qualitative neume can be useful (it will likely be an exhaustive work given that someone will have to go to a library like that of the Institute of Byzantine Musicology of the Church of Greece), but in the end, even if a consensus exegesis of interpretation that is shared among many chanters of a given period of history is arrived at consider the following:

1) That interpretation could be different among different time periods
2) Not everyone has the vocal capabilities to perform the various ornamentations that an exegetic line directs
3) How many samples (i.e. individual chantors) are required to find the mean?

Perhaps that is the reason why the teachers of old used somewhat vague phrases to describe the qualitative action of certain neumes. They offered a general guide but left it up to the teacher to pass on what he had learned (to the best possible approximation) to the student.

There are two extreme schools of thought: the metrophonia and the overornamented (to death). The latter uses what I would call pseudoscholarship to justify untenable practices (Karas comes to mind). The former either does not know, or has chosen to take out the qualitative aspect of neumes.

I believe that the best "guide" in our days is to listen to those old recordings of Naypliotis (who by all accounts of his day was respected and considered THE carrier of the old tradition) and pay attention to the inflections and the ornaments he provides for the qualitative neumes.

To write down a survey, as interesting as it may be will add further to the confusion created by our friends and colleagues in Greece.

NG.

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
I was told that Dimitrios Nerantzis did some work in this area, although I do not have any details. Certainly, the samples in this article are promising.

Those samples are just a small part of an entire 240-page book he wrote. This book is probably exactly what you are looking for. It is called Συμβολὴ στὴν Ἑρμηνεῖα τοῦ Ἐκκλησιαστικοῦ Μέλους, and it's in my catalogue of Byzantine music books. I think it is a must-read book for anyone who doesn't have a traditional teacher to learn from.

The biography for Fr. Dositheos Katounakiotis mentions that he "transcribed many developments of various musical formulae, which he has organised in systematic manner."

That sounds very helpful, especially for people like us who rely on organized collections of formulae to compose Byzantine music.

I was also told that Dimitrios Panagiotopoulos transcribed some developments of musical formulae in one of his books, but I do not know which book or the extent of his work.
I've attached to this message a few pages from the book you're talking about. It's a very nice book, and it helped me learn orthography. When he introduces the theory behind each mode, he also gives typical melodic patterns for each mode. But as you can see from the scans I've attached, his formulas are not practical for people like us because he doesn't show where the accented and unaccented syllables go. Besides, the formulas he displays constitute only a small fraction of the formulas I collected. For example, his formulas of first mode fill only 3 pages, whereas mine fill about 150 pages.

Attachments

• Panagiotopoulos Excerpt.pdf
    147.4 KB · Views: 63

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
The biography for Fr. Dositheos Katounakiotis mentions that he "transcribed many developments of various musical formulae, which he has organised in systematic manner." I do not have any other details.

Some more information was given in the Greek-language section of the forum in the topic Καταγραφή αναλύσεων στο έργο του π. Δοσιθέου Κατουνακιώτου (Notation of melodic analysis in the work of Fr. Dositheos Katounakiotis). In short, it is mentioned that a study by Fr. Dositheos exists but remains unpublished as yet.

zinoviev

Μέλος
1) That interpretation could be different among different time periods
2) Not everyone has the vocal capabilities to perform the various ornamentations that an exegetic line directs
3) How many samples (i.e. individual chantors) are required to find the mean?

Perhaps that is the reason why the teachers of old used somewhat vague phrases to describe the qualitative action of certain neumes. They offered a general guide but left it up to the teacher to pass on what he had learned (to the best possible approximation) to the student.
It seems likely that the interpretation differed during different time periods. But still I think that at the time of the Three teachers only one style of singing was agreed in Constantinople. Maybe the reason the explanations of the old teachers were vague was that it was simply impossible to explain with words the meaning for the sings. For example what non-vague explatation can be used for the ornaments in this or in this piese?

The reason I think that there was one common interpretation of the qualitative signs is the existence of very complex system of orthography rules. For example only in ByzOrthography.pdf there are 106 rules! How were the Three teachers and their immediate pupils able to follow these rules if these rules were not systematized and maybe even unknown at that time? Why didn't the latter composers/publishers follow these rules as strictly? My answer is that in the latter time the ornamentation has changed so many of the qualitative signs lost their original meaning.

Consider for example the following:

1. Why vareia requires the next note to continue the same syllable?
2. Why is aple used instead of klasma for the next note after a vareia if this note is lengthened?
3. Why is aple used instead of klasma for the note immediately before the vareia?

According to Chrisantos during the klasma the voice "waives so to say" (§120) and here this "waiving" is interpreted as "punctuating" the note to measure the time/chronos.

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Those samples are just a small part of an entire 240-page book he wrote. This book is probably exactly what you are looking for. It is called Συμβολὴ στὴν Ἑρμηνεῖα τοῦ Ἐκκλησιαστικοῦ Μέλους, and it's in my catalogue of Byzantine music books.

I noticed that in the Holy Week recordings of Constantine Pringos, as well as his printed Holy Week book, certain classical formulae are slightly abridged in order to facilitate singing at a faster tempo. In your catalogue of Byzantine music books, you refer to this style as the "brief Patriarchal style." I have attached an example to this post. Does the above book by Nerantzis systematically describe this brief Patriarchal style? If not, has anyone else written about it?

Attachments

• Ioannes.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Pringos.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 28

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
2. Why is aple used instead of klasma for the next note after a vareia if this note is lengthened?
3. Why is aple used instead of klasma for the note immediately before the vareia?
Those are good questions. Although I don't know enough about the old notation to say for sure, my guess is that conventions and the orthography of the old notation are the reason behind many of the orthography rules in the New Method that seem somewhat arbitrary to us who don't know the old notation.

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Some more information was given in the Greek-language section of the forum in the topic Καταγραφή αναλύσεων στο έργο του π. Δοσιθέου Κατουνακιώτου (Notation of melodic analysis in the work of Fr. Dositheos Katounakiotis). In short, it is mentioned that a study by Fr. Dositheos exists but remains unpublished as yet.

In this recording that Fr. Chrysovalantis uploaded to the forum, Fr. Dositheos first says something about the Theoretikon that he is writing (he says it is not ready yet, but he has a preliminary version) and then talks a bit about his work on quality signs after Fr. Christos Kyriakopoulos asks him about it.

It is a pity that the greater part of Elder Dositheos' archive remains not accessible to a wide audience.

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
In your catalogue of Byzantine music books, you refer to this style as the "brief Patriarchal style."
This was actually a comment made by Georgios Michalakis that I quoted. If we take an idiomelon from the Holy Week book by Pringos and compare it with a 19th-century doxastarion, like Mousike Kypsele, one obvious difference is that Pringos' melodies have more "heirmological bridges" or "syllabic melodies". (Correct me if my memory is deceiving me.) I think this is primarily what made their melodies brief.
I have attached an example to this post. Does the above book by Nerantzis systematically describe this brief Patriarchal style? If not, has anyone else written about it?
I don't think Nerantzis talks about it explicitly, although he does discuss how a particular formula can be chanted in different ways.

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Basil:

Although I don't have the precise and measurable answers to the questions, I will offer my insight from many years of experience and discussions with people from Karamanis, Syrkas, Hatzimarkos, Sourlantzis and Vasilios Nikolaidis.

But still I think that at the time of the Three teachers only one style of singing was agreed in Constantinople.

That does not appear to be the case. Comparing the theoretical manuals and the historic accounts of chant in Constantinople, there were a number of styles that were ecclesiastically acceptable with minor variations in interpretations of the neumes and the cadences (theseis, ateleis and enteleis katalixeis as they are referred to in Greek). What the Chrysanthine System did was to provide a framework for TEACHING the fundamentals of ecclesiastical chant, offering the skeleton and some common practices shared by the different "schools" and then leaving it up to the individual teachers to offer the ornamentation. Ornamentation differed based on the vocal capacity of the teachers. Some were perfectly crisp in execution of a multi-gorgon, others less so. Others were perfectly smooth in "wavy" accentuation of a neume, others less so. And so on. Nonetheless, the general framework of the qualitative neumes was accepted by all.

Maybe the reason the explanations of the old teachers were vague was that it was simply impossible to explain with words the meaning for the sings. For example what non-vague explatation can be used for the ornaments in this or in this piese?

I listended to the two pieces. If I had about an hour, I could have made a rough transcription of them (although orthographically I would not be following the rules completely and people like Fr. Ephraim would be sought to correct my orthography). But the two pieces, feature a person who does not have the crisp capacity to execute a trigorgon on an yporrow for example. Also, in certain parts, the series of apostrophoi are performed in a portamento manner instead of discrete specific descents. And so on. This is what we term "improvisation" although the improvisation is perfectly in line with tradition. That is why it is my view that a bounded and limited and fixed dogma of formulaic expression is not in the spirit of classical ecclesiastic chant. The formulae can be used as a skeleton and a framework but they cannot offer the inspiration of the moment that classic psaltae performed and continue to perform.

The reason I think that there was one common interpretation of the qualitative signs is the existence of very complex system of orthography rules. For example only in ByzOrthography.pdf there are 106 rules! How were the Three teachers and their immediate pupils able to follow these rules if these rules were not systematized and maybe even unknown at that time?

The "rules" were the skeleton, or the scaffold. Practice and lots of listening were part of the learning process and indeed, most students at the analogion were not even offered books to follow. Consider the tradition at the Patriarchate. With the exception of a few hymns, chanting is from memory. The domestikos listens intently for many years, studies the books at home, BUT, at the analogion, he follows the Protopsaltis or the Lampadarios. The same was true for almost all churches in Asia Minor. Listening was critical. Execution and interpretation was passed on ORALLY and not formulaicly.

Why didn't the latter composers/publishers follow these rules as strictly?

Vide Supra

My answer is that in the latter time the ornamentation has changed so many of the qualitative signs lost their original meaning.

Not true. If you have a month to spare, go to the audio archives of the Institute of Byzantine Musicology of the Church of Greece. Take out audio material from the 40s and 50s and compare the THESEIS, the ATELEIS AND ENTELEIS KATALIXEIS and the interpretations of specific neumes of a few common hymns. You will see a remarkable adherence to a common "core" interpretation. The variations in the "edges" on the interpretations are small.

Consider for example the following:

Accentuation is difficult if you invoke a breath action (repetition of a syllable, especially a vowel) CONCURRENT with a tongue action (new syllable. Practical stuff.

I don't have an answer to these two questions and I doubt anyone has a serious one based on solid history. None of the people I spoke to has an answer.

According to Chrisantos during the klasma the voice "waives so to say" (§120) and here this "waiving" is interpreted as "punctuating" the note to measure the time/chronos.

I'm not sure obvious punctuation is the meaning. Certainly both the klasma and the apli (dipli, tripli) have qualitative activities that ask us to barely noticeably "wave" the extra additions of time, but they are not punctuated.

Consider, in general, that the THEORY of Orthodox Ecclesiastic Music came centuries AFTER an ORAL tradition. Much cannot explain the oral practices and at those times where there is no rational answer, we have to respect what generations of traditional psaltae have passed to us.

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
It is a pity that the greater part of Elder Dositheos' archive remains not accessible to a wide audience.

Speaking of the work of Fr Dositheos, I would like to acquire some of his books. From Papa Ephraim's catalogue of Byzantine music books I see that he has published the following:

1. Δοξαστάριον
  2. Λειτουργικά
  3. Μικρά Οκτάηχος
  4. Μουσικόν Τριώδιον
  5. Οκτάηχον Εβδομάριον
  6. Παραλειπόμενα του Τριωδίου

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which of these books I should acquire first and where to find them? I emailed the Monastery of Saints Cyprian and Justina at Kyprianos@hol.gr, but the message bounced.

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Speaking of the work of Fr Dositheos, I would like to acquire some of his books. From Papa Ephraim's catalogue of Byzantine music books I see that he has published the following:

1. Δοξαστάριον
  2. Λειτουργικά
  3. Μικρά Οκτάηχος
  4. Μουσικόν Τριώδιον
  5. Οκτάηχον Εβδομάριον
  6. Παραλειπόμενα του Τριωδίου

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which of these books I should acquire first and where to find them? I emailed the Monastery of Saints Cyprian and Justina at Kyprianos@hol.gr, but the message bounced.

The contact information is given on the last page of this file:

http://www.synodinresistance.org/Publications_el/Kat09-Site.pdf

As for the suggestions, it depends on what your goals are and what type of a book you are looking for.

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
The contact information is given on the last page of this file:

http://www.synodinresistance.org/Publications_el/Kat09-Site.pdf

As for the suggestions, it depends on what your goals are and what type of a book you are looking for.

Thank you for providing that contact information. I am primarily interested in his original compositions as opposed to variations of existing compositions. I'm also confused as to the difference between the Μικρά Οκτάηχος and Οκτάηχον Εβδομάριον.

zinoviev

Μέλος
In [1] the combination Petaste+Klasma is explained the following way: "the lengthened note is sung with a slight tremolo or trill at the end of the first beat". The same combination in [2] is explained in this way "halfbeat on note, halfbeat ascending second with crescendo, then full beat descending second, decrescendo." Both versions are similar and they put the ornamentation during the first beat of the lengthened note so I suppose this is the Greek tradition. On the other hand all Bulgarian books (even those from 19th century) unanimously say the ornamentation is during the second beat of the lengthened note.

Do you know something about the origin of this discrepancy?

EDIT: I made a mistake about the old Bulgarian books (19th century). They don't give enough information to tell whether the first or the second beat was ornamented or whether the ornamentation was in the middle.

--

[1] http://www.synaxis.info/psalom/notation/byzantine/Byz1a.pdf
[2] http://unicode.org/notes/tn20/byznotation.1.1.pdf

Last edited:

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
It's not clear why the Bulgarian practice you mention differs from the Constantinopolitan (or mainstream Greek).

We know that Nicholas Docheiareitis, an otherwise very traditional chanter according to historical accounts, taught the Bulgarians, but whether what he taught was strictly adhered to is not known. Somewhere, someone made a differentiation towards a new interpretation of this neumatic combination.

NG

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
I'm also confused as to the difference between the Μικρά Οκτάηχος and Οκτάηχον Εβδομάριον.
The former has for each mode:
1. The Κύριε ἐκέκραξα
2. The 1st and 2nd Dogmatikon of Small Vespers for Saturday Evening
3. The 1st and 2nd Dogmatikon of Great Vespers for Saturday Evening
4. The Πᾶσα Πνοή
5. The Eothinon Doxasticon

The latter has melodies for all the kathismata and aposticha of Weekday Orthros, as well as the Esperia and the Aposticha of Weekday Vespers, excluding prosomoia.