Byzantine Music Books in North America

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
Christos anesti!

Friends, as many of us in the States know, Byzantine music books are difficult, slow, and expensive to get in North America. Until such time as a North American publishing house takes on editions of the classical books for the North American market, the current reality is that our choices are -- .pdfs, buying books in Greece (or convincing people to buy them for us), or buying retail from a Greek bookseller online and paying exorbitant international shipping costs.

To tackle some of this problem, a co-op of cantors and Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church, Cardiff, CA's bookstore have collaborated to start bringing Byzantine music books to the North American retail market. We're establishing wholesale relationships with Greek publishers, enabling us to bring a stock of books to our shores at saner retail prices, and making it so that you're on the hook for North American media mail shipping, not prohibitively expensive international shipping!

We're pleased to make available for pre-order a five-volume starter library of the classical Byzantine repertoire, drawn from the editions of the renowned Regopoulos publishing house of Thessaloniki:

The Anastasimatarion of Ioannis Protopsaltis
The Heirmologion of Ioannis Protopsaltis
Tameion Anthologias (ed. Phokaeus), Vespers, Vol. 1
Tameion Anthologias, Orthros, Vol. 1
Tameion Anthologias, Divine Liturgy, Vol .1

These five volumes represent a terrific introduction to the Greek language repertoire for the major services, and are all printed in nice, durable, hardcover editions.

Ordering retail from Greece plus shipping, these five volumes could cost you as much as $245 USD including international shipping; we are thrilled to offer this starter set for $150 USD, plus media mail shipping rates in the United States. We hope to make more books from more publishers in the very near future!

Pre-order now at http://www.byzantinemusicbooks.com/ !

For all inquiries, contact richardbarrett@johnofdamascus.org.

Attachments

• byz chant books flyer (1).pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 47

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
If I may make a suggestion, I believe the Athonite classics Μουσικός Θησαυρός του Εσπερινού and Μουσικός Θησαυρός της Λειτουργίας are much cheaper than the Phokaeus Anthology (not the least because they are paperback), while being somewhat more "modern" in contents.

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
If I may make a suggestion, I believe the Athonite classics Μουσικός Θησαυρός του Εσπερινού and Μουσικός Θησαυρός της Λειτουργίας are much cheaper than the Phokaeus Anthology (not the least because they are paperback), while being somewhat more "modern" in contents.

Thanks, we'll keep that in mind. That's a publisher we've not yet made contact with.

Richard

neoklis

Νεοκλής Λευκόπουλος, Γενικός Συντονιστής
.... the Athonite classics Μουσικός Θησαυρός του Εσπερινού and Μουσικός Θησαυρός της Λειτουργίας are much cheaper than the Phokaeus Anthology (not the least because they are paperback), ...
The problem with these editions is that being paperback you need two hands to keep them open for reading and you'll have to spend more money to bind them, as I have done, as opposed to those by Regopoulos which ...
... are all printed in nice, durable, hardcover editions.....

They also are much smaller in size, thus thicker, an additional reason for not being easy to use in church. You are right though about the content. For this reason one might want to look at the New Edition of "Nea Mousiki Syllogi" by G. Progakis (Polychronakis Editions, see here).

Last edited:

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
You are right though about the content. For this reason one might want to look at the New Edition of "Nea Mousiki Syllogi" by G. Progakis (Polychronakis Editions, see here).

With a caveat that Progakes has little to offer as far as the Leitourgika and Axion esti are concerned.