Byzantine Music Formulae

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Two years ago I collected more than 10,000 melodic formulae of Byzantine music and posted them at http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Formula.html. I and several other composers have found that these lists of formulae help tremendously when writing original melodies of Byzantine chant in any language.

Since then, I have found several typos and formulae that were missing from this collection. On June 17, 2007 I included dozens of these corrections, and also today (June 27, 2008) I have included even more corrections. The files currently posted at that webpage contain all the latest updates. These updates did not change the pagination of the files, because the additional formulae were inserted in the margins.

in Christ,
+Fr. Ephraim

Last edited:

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
I was wondering if you could provide some examples of Greek Byzantine music books (especially freely available ones) that include music for the verses in question. For example, the standard Anastasimatarion does not include music for heirmologic verses (nor does the Anastasimatarion by Petros Ephesios, as far as I can tell).

I have written a brief guide for composing the verses of troparia.
Any comments or suggestions are very welcome.

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
Good question, Basil. I'm not sure what other books might have music for those heirmologic verses, but the one I refer to frequently is the two-volume set by Hieromonk Hierotheos (formerly) of Philotheou that has music for the Parakletike. I forgot to add it to my catalog of Byzantine music books, so I'll add it soon.

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
I was wondering if you could provide some examples of Greek Byzantine music books (especially freely available ones) that include music for the verses in question.
I have added a third page to my brief guide for composing the verses of troparia that contains a chart showing which books have which verses. It also contains links for downloading those books for free.
If anyone knows of any other books I could have included in this chart, please let me know.

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Most "modern" Anastasimataria have the verses in melody/notation.

The ones I have on hand are:

Neon Anastasimatarion, Dionysios Iliopoulos (basically the same as the one of Ioannis Protopsaltis but with verses and ison added for all the Vesperal and Orthros Ainous Stichira and the Canon troparia)

Neon Anastasimatarion, Georgios Syrkas (his own interpretation of Ioannis and Petros, with verses added as above)

Protypon Anastasimatarion, Harilaos Taliadoros (same as above)

NG

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
I have added a few hundred more formulae to my collection of Heirmologic and Sticheraric Byzantine Music Formulae. You may download them as separate files for each mode from that web page, or you can get them all as a single file. There is also a zip file that contains in PDF format all the individual pages that have been updated. The sections containing the "old" sticheraric formulae have been amplified so much that I was forced to use a smaller font for some of the modes so that the page numbers would not change. In addition, the Formulaic Rules for Verses have been added as well. I have also begun posting the Papadic Formulae in a separate web page, but it will be several months before they are ready.