Book recommendations

RichardRBarrett

Μέλος
Question -- my Byz chant library started with the Zoi edition of the Anastasimatarion and the Eirmoplogion of Ioannis Protopsaltis. A friend of mine is in Greece for the summer and offered to bring back some books for me if I wanted. What should be the next additions to the library? I know about the DVD from St. Anthony's Monastery -- I'm talking specifically print editions. Recommendations welcome.

Ευχαριστώ!

Richard

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium
Question -- my Byz chant library started with the Zoi edition of the Anastasimatarion and the Eirmoplogion of Ioannis Protopsaltis. A friend of mine is in Greece for the summer and offered to bring back some books for me if I wanted. What should be the next additions to the library? I know about the DVD from St. Anthony's Monastery -- I'm talking specifically print editions. Recommendations welcome.

Ευχαριστώ!

Richard

Doxastarion Petros Lambadarios', editions Koultoura (Κουλτούρα).
Eirmologion Petros Lambadarios', editions Koultoura (Κουλτούρα).
Anastasimatarion Petros Efesios', editions Koultoura (Κουλτούρα).

Panagiotis G.

Μέλος
Hi Richard,

These books from my personal library have been very helpful for me at the analogion:

1883 Mousike Kypseli by Stephanos Lampadarios republished by Grigoriou Monastery on Mt. Athos (3 volumes - Doxastarion A' and B' and Triodion/Pentecostarion). Fr. Ephraim has a lot to say about this work on his website: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Melodic.pdf

Mouskion Minologion by Protopresbyter Konstantinos Papagiannis (all months are a separate volume and he has editions for Holy Week, Triodion, Pentecostarion, etc). Each one is about 25 euros each.
Papagiannis' works are interesting since he tries to include as much as possible for each day, including writing out prosomia melodies, the first and third ode of the canons (and 9th ode for big feasts), long Katavasiae, and various classical koinonika for feast days. He also includes things that are not chanted in most Greek churches today, such as prokeimena of the Epistle and Allelouia in different tones before the Gospel. However, for doxastika and idiomela, I find myself usually going back to Mousike Kypseli or the Doxastarion of Petros.

Oi Syntomes Katavasies (The Short Katavasias) by Giannis K. Papachronis.
I found this book in the bookstore Perivoli ths Panagias in Thessaloniki, never having heard of it before I encountered it. It includes all the Katavasiae for the year in their short form, including the 9th ode in its long form. Papachronis also writes out the entire 9th ode for major feast days, making this book very practical and helpful at the chanting stand. The melodies are fairly classical as far as I can tell. He also includes the Timotera (More Honorable) in each mode and melodies for the prosomia in their arga (long/slow) form.

Hope this helps.

Panagiotis George

MTheodorakis

Παλαιό Μέλος

Tameion anthologias Chourmouziou 1824 (reprint by Regopoulos editions tel. 2310 272458).

Syllogi idiomelon 1831 (reprint by Regopoulos editions).

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Papagiannis' works are interesting since he tries to include as much as possible for each day, including writing out prosomia melodies, the first and third ode of the canons (and 9th ode for big feasts), long Katavasiae, and various classical koinonika for feast days. He also includes things that are not chanted in most Greek churches today, such as prokeimena of the Epistle and Allelouia in different tones before the Gospel. However, for doxastika and idiomela, I find myself usually going back to Mousike Kypseli or the Doxastarion of Petros.

This is interesting. Just out of curiosity what source does he use for his prosomia melodies? The Heirmologion of Ioannis?

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
The 4 volume Mousike Pandekte (1850-51) of Stephanos Domestikos and Ioannis Lambadarios (before he was Protipsaltis) is also worth having in your library. At least vol 4 (Liturgy), 2 (Matins) and 1 (Vespers).

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
jThe 1883 Mousiki Kypseli by Stefanos Lampadarios, as useful as it may be, was not officially used by the Patriarchal chanters, because they felt that Stefanos changed some of the melodies and strayed from Patriarchal practice.

I recommend the three-volume set MOUSIKI SYLLOGI by G. Progakis. I am of the opinion that this set (along with the four-volume MOUSIKI PANDEKTI set) are mandatory volumes that should be in the library of any serious student of Byzantine Music. I believe the edition is by the publishing house Polychronakis. But, be careful: make sure you purchase the edition which is phototypeset from the original volumes, NOT the new edition that has been re-typeset. The newer edition has serious typographical errors throughout it.

By studying Progakis, you will see where all of the newer psaltai of the 20th century (Pringos, Stanitsas, Karamanis, Taliadoros, et al.) get their inspiration.

Apostolos

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
jThe 1883 Mousiki Kypseli by Stefanos Lampadarios, as useful as it may be, was not officially used by the Patriarchal chanters, because they felt that Stefanos changed some of the melodies and strayed from Patriarchal practice.

I recommend the three-volume set MOUSIKI SYLLOGI by G. Progakis. I am of the opinion that this set (along with the four-volume MOUSIKI PANDEKTI set) are mandatory volumes that should be in the library of any serious student of Byzantine Music. I believe the edition is by the publishing house Polychronakis. But, be careful: make sure you purchase the edition which is phototypeset from the original volumes, NOT the new edition that has been re-typeset. The newer edition has serious typographical errors throughout it.

By studying Progakis, you will see where all of the newer psaltai of the 20th century (Pringos, Stanitsas, Karamanis, Taliadoros, et al.) get their inspiration.

Apostolos

Apostolos --thank you. I wish I would have read this post 5-6 years ago when I bought the set of Progakis books. Polychronakis talked me into buying the newer set. Yes, it does have a number of rather noticeable typos,and a few more of my noticeable pencil marks (no musician should be without his pencil). It is still an excellent series and a mainstay that is constantly referred to.

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος

Do you, then not recommend the Kypseli or is this just a corrollary note that it is not in service by the Patr. psaltai for above mentioned reasons? I was always under the impression from various sources, that these were still fairly credible.

JPP