International Scientific Meeting in Honor of Archon Protopsaltis Lycourgos Angelopoulos at the Aristotelion University of Thessaloniki, April 23, 2013

greek487

Tasos N.
Archon Protopsaltis Lycourgos Angelopoulos, the renowned chanter and choirmaster of byzantine music who was honored by the Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, will be also honored by the Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki Music Department in the International Scientific Meeting entitled:

"The contribution of Lycourgos Angelopoulos, archon first chanter of the Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, to Byzantine Music Studies and Musicology in general"

The meeting will take place at the Aristotelion University in the local (Thermi), room 8 and lobby, on Tuesday 23 April 2013

Arrival time: 14:00

Announcement in English
http://www.mus.auth.gr/cms/?q=en/node/1484

Announcement in Greek
http://www.mus.auth.gr/cms/?q=node/1472

Program - Invitation (in Greek)
http://www.mus.auth.gr/cms/sites/default/files/Αγγελόπουλος.pdf

Also see http://analogion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168875&postcount=1 for the full listing of distinguished scholars and choirs which will be presenting at this International Scientific Symposium.

Attachments

• Picture of L. Angelopoulos Chanting and Directing.png
    Picture of L. Angelopoulos Chanting and Directing.png
    396.9 KB · Views: 7

greek487

Tasos N.
He is totally awesome. He definetely deserves this honour and much more

Agreed!

Did you get a chance to view the three-part program of this International Scientific Symposium at http://www.mus.auth.gr/cms/sites/default/files/Αγγελόπουλος.pdf ? Ιncluding all of the titles of each of the presentations? I appreciate the way they sub-divided Archon Aggelopoulos' vast musical work into specific topics to be studied and analyzed.

I'm sure others are more able in translating from Greek to English (especially you, for example), but I wonder if these topics could get properly translated. And eventually even the entire presentations themselves.

For starters,

Topic A: Lycourgos Angelopoulos, the man and his work.

Topic B: The contribution of Lycourgos Angelopoulos in the dissemination of Byzantine music throughout the contemporary West.

Honorary Ceremony & Artistic Program where choirs chant from his Byzantine Chant compositions.

And now for the difficult part ... :confused:

Μαρία Αλεξάνδρου, επίκουρη καθηγήτρια Τ.Μ.Σ. του Α.Π.Θ., Όψεις του
ε̟πιστημονικού και του μελουργικού έργου του Άρχοντος Πρωτοψάλτου Λυκούργου Αγγελό̟πουλου

Εμμανουήλ Γιαννόπουλος, εκλεγμένος λέκτορας Τ.Μ.Σ. του Α.Π.Θ., Ο
Λυκούργος Αγγελό̟ουλος και η καταγραφή, διάσωση και διάδοση ασματικών και άλλων μνημείων της ψαλτικής

Π. Νεκτάριος Πάρης, επίκουρος καθηγητής του Τμήματος Μουσικής
Επιστήμης και Τέχνης του Πανεπιστημίου Μακεδονίας, Η συμβολή του Λυκούργου Αγγελο̟πούλου στην δια των χειρονομιών ερμηνεία του βυζαντινού μέλους

Αθανασία Κυριακίδου, διδάκτωρ του Τ.Μ.Σ. του Α.Π.Θ., Η τεχνική της
χειρονομίας μέσα α̟πό το έργο του χοράρχη Λυκούργου Αγγελό̟πουλου

Αντριάν Σίρμπου, διδάσκων του Πανεπιστημίου Καλών Τεχνών Ιασίου, Υπ.
διδ. του Τ.Μ.Σ. του Α.Π.Θ., Η «Ελληνική Βυζαντινή Χορωδία» και η Ρουμανική Βυζαντινή Χορωδία «Βyzantion» α̟πό το Πανε̟πιστήμιο Καλών Τεχνών Ιασίου

Αγαμέμνων Τέντες, διδάκτωρ του Πανεπιστημίου της Κοπεγχάγης, Σύντομη
μουσικολογική π̟ροσ̟έλαση της δισκογραφίας Άρχοντος Πρωτοψάλτου Λυκούργου Αγγελο̟πούλου.

Θοδωρής Καραθόδωρος, συνθέτης, υπ. διδ. του Πανεπιστημίου Αθηνών,
Αμφίδρομη ε̟πικοινωνία συνθέτη - ερμηνευτή. Η συνεισφορά του Λυκούργου Αγγελό̟ουλου στη σύγχρονη λόγια μουσική δημιουργία.

Μάρκος Δραγούμης, Υπεύθυνος του Μουσικού Λαογραφικού Αρχείου
Μέλπως Μερλιέ, Κέντρο Μικρασιατικών Σπουδών, Αθήνα: Η έρευνα της Βυζαντινής
Μουσικής στη Δύση

Ιωάννης Παπαθανασίου, μόνιμος επίκουρος καθηγητής του Τ.Μ.Σ. του
Εθνικού και Καποδιστριακού Πανεπιστημίου Αθηνών, Πρώτες εκτελέσεις ̟παλαιάς βυζαντινής μουσικής α̟πό την Ελληνική Βυζαντινή Χορωδία

Marcel Pérès, καλλιτεχνικός διευθυντής του Ensemble Organum και του
Κέντρου Μελέτης Παλαιών Μουσικών (CIRMA), H λατινική και ελληνική μουσική κληρονομιά: η καθοριστική συμβολή του Λυκούργου Αγγελό̟πουλου

EIRYK EMNOSHELE

Qu'est-ce que je ferais sans toi?
This decision ... was catalysed by Mr. Angelopoulos' tenacity...

NG

What do you mean by that? I'm not English and I don't live in an English spoken country so I'm struggling to figure it out. But in case you mean that he is ignoring the Ecumenical Patriarchate please stop badmouthing him. Will you?
It really sticks in my throat that some people keep devaluing him all the time. Lycoyrgos Angelopoylos is showing excess deference to the Great Church of Crist and its decisions. Anyone isterested to hear about his work, just google it. I did so and stumbled on some completely different information than yours, regarding Lycourgos Angelopoylos and his work on Byzantine Music.

So, let's see what I've got:

Lycourgos Angelopoylos

1. has been honoured by the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew with the highest award for chanters and was named First Chanter of the Holy Archdiocese of Constantinople.

2. has been honoured by the Church of Greece with the medal of the Gold Cross of Apostle Paul.

3. has been honoured by the President of Greece with the Order of the Phoenix (Silver Cross), an order which is conferred to Greeks who have excelled in the arts and literature among others.

4. has been honoureed by his Beatitude the Patriarch of Jerulasem Diodoros.

5. has been honoured by the Orthodox Church of Finland

6. has been honoured by the Diocese of Patras here in Greece

and the list is just... endless like the Cultural Centre of Constantinopolitans which organized an event in honour of Lycourgos Angelopoylos, and so on.

Last but not list there are books with... "the system he has championed for decades" under the blessing and support of His All Holiness, BARTHOLOMEW, Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch and the Church of Greece as well.

So please let's try to focus on what is really important here and as the Bible says in Romans 12.15: Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn

God bless you.

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Dear Eirik:

Let's put aside his distinctions, and awards, and CDs, and videos, and all that for the moment and focus on the following two key questions:

1) What Method is the Decision of the Holy Synod of the Great Church of Christ referring to (dated May 28, 2012)?

2) Has Mr. Angelopoulos ever in the past, and is he currently promoting the Method that the Decision of the Holy Synod is referring to?

3) Exactly what, in your own words, is that Decision all about?

Look, Dear Eirik, I am sure Mr. Angelopoulos' friends and colleagues whom he has worked with in the past, and continues to work with today, will have a wonderful time socially and experimentally, looking over their hypotheses and the data that may or many not support those hypotheses at this symposium. The thinking mind is free to propose any hypothesis and to test it experimentally with facts and data. Given the preponderance of university faculty, this symposium looks to be experimental and scholarly.

However, as concerns the church, there are bounds to human experimentalism and scholarship and what elements from this enters the ecclesiastic life and practices of the church. We've gone through this matter (concerning Mr. Angelopoulos' favorite System and Method) many times before in this forum and there is no need to repeat things over and over.

Given the task asked of chantors in the church setting by the Decision of May 28th, what is your stand? Do you support this Decision by the Mother Church, or are you against it (in the setting of the church, always)?

Will the symposium convened in honor of Mr. Angelopoulos not consider this decision which also concerns him as a chanter, as an official (offikioucho) of the Great Church, and as a servant of the Mother Church?

Thank you for your consideration.

NG

Last edited:

EIRYK EMNOSHELE

Qu'est-ce que je ferais sans toi?
...Let's put aside his distinctions, and awards, and CDs, and videos, and all that...

Nope. Let's NOT put aside his distinctions, awards and so on because all of them indicate his inimitable and outstanding talent and explains those honorary distinctions.
Instead let's put aside the Decision because the subject of this topic has to do with the international scientific meeting in honour of Lycourgos Angelopoulos. There is already a topic about the Desicion, which I haven't commented on at all. Don't ask me why...

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Very well, dear Eirik.

I respect your view on looking only at distinctions and not the full package and ethos as concerns behavior towards the ecclesiastic directives of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. I respect your view and thesis, but I strongly disagree with it, as, I hypothesise, the Mother Church does.

Would I be wrong then, in surmising, that you are advocating a thesis where an individual in the service of the church, whose art is in the service of the church and whose same art is dictated by the laws and conduct of the church, based on the volume of human accolades and commercial/artistic exposure (especially outside of Greece), is justified in disobeying the directives of the church on the same art based on (largely) non-ecclesiastic awards and distinctions?

Would I also be wrong in surmmising that you are advocating a thesis where the ecclesiastically-artistic ethos of an individual in the service of the church is inversely proportional to the number of distinctions and accolades (ecclesiastic or non-ecclesiastic)?

Would I also be wrong in surmising that you find it absolutely appropriate that the volume of awards and distinctions justify the choice to make oneself an outlier from the mean that the church establishes after considerable thought and deliberation?

I won't belabor this any further, dear Eirik. I wish you and all of Mr. Angelopoulos' friends and acolytes a wonderful and productive conference and I look forward to the new theses and findings your movement of academic investigators makes publicly available.

NG

Θεόδωρος Αιτωλός

Παλαιό Μέλος
Very well, dear Eirik.

I respect your view on looking only at distinctions and not the full package and ethos as concerns behavior towards the ecclesiastic directives of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. I respect your view and thesis, but I strongly disagree with it, as, I hypothesise, the Mother Church does.

Would I be wrong then, in surmising, that you are advocating a thesis where an individual in the service of the church, whose art is in the service of the church and whose same art is dictated by the laws and conduct of the church, based on the volume of human accolades and commercial/artistic exposure (especially outside of Greece), is justified in disobeying the directives of the church on the same art based on (largely) non-ecclesiastic awards and distinctions?

Would I also be wrong in surmmising that you are advocating a thesis where the ecclesiastically-artistic ethos of an individual in the service of the church is inversely proportional to the number of distinctions and accolades (ecclesiastic or non-ecclesiastic)?

Would I also be wrong in surmising that you find it absolutely appropriate that the volume of awards and distinctions justify the choice to make oneself an outlier from the mean that the church establishes after considerable thought and deliberation?

I won't belabor this any further, dear Eirik. I wish you and all of Mr. Angelopoulos' friends and acolytes a wonderful and productive conference and I look forward to the new theses and findings your movement of academic investigators makes publicly available.

NG

Παρακαλώ θερμά όταν συνεχισθεί ο διάλογος , μπορεί να γίνη στα Ελληνικά;
Ευχαριστώ. Θ. Καλλίμαχος