Announcement of the Patriarchal Holy Synod on Ecclesiastic Music

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Original in Greek:
http://www.ec-patr.org/docdisplay.php?lang=gr&id=1480&tla=gr

Note: This is NOT in any way an official translation. It is my own.

Ecumenical Patriarchate

Announcement by the Holy and Sacred Synod on the subject of Ecclesiastic Music

The Ecumenical Patriarchate, consequent to the decision of the Holy and Sacred Synod of the 29th of March 2012, on the specific exhibit of the Patriarchal and Synodic Committee on Holy Worship of the 23rd of March 2012 on the subject of our Ecclesiastic Music, because of the responsibility of a number of Psaltae in applying, at first imperceptibly, but in time more systematic, a theoretical work which circulated in 1982 under the title "Method of Hellenic Music-Theory", which created a disturbing situation, declares that:

1. It rejects and condemns the attempts to disseminate, against the authority of the decisions of the Mother Church, the unconstrained, irresponsible and blatant self-initiatives and recantations of the said "Theory", characterised as obsolete and foreign in relation to the canonical order of the prevailing theory and practice of our ecclesiastic music.

2. It denounces all illegitimate actions that willfully aim to change, falsify and forge the archaic musical works of composers formally recognised by the Mother Church, and,

3. As a musical system of our Ecclesiastic Music it recognises, applies and teaches along the theory, the practice and the tradition of the 1812-1814 "New Method of Analytic Notation of the Musical Compositions", founded by the Three Teachers, Chrysanthos Metropolitan of Prousa, Gregory the Protopsaltis and Chourmouzios the Chartophylax, and approved by the Mother Church.

In the Patriarchate, on this the 28th of May, 2012

From the Archsecretariat of the Holy and Sacred Synod

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
A lot, which was in a way, expected.

The Karas proponents are not very happy, but now they must reap what they sowed.

They were warned in the mid 90s by Decisions of the Church of Greece which, although clear, were not specific enough or "tough" enough. Over the past 10 years, they witnessed their Theories and tenets crumble before facts and data. Still, they continued to promote pseudoscience and musical heresy.

I believe the Decision is clear without any need for footnotes. Anyone who serves a church under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate as a musician and/or a teacher of music has to now seriously consider where their allegiances lie as far as chant goes. With a system that the Mother church now denounces in all possible manner, or with a system that has been tried and true since the reformation of the Three Teachers.

Of course, anyone outside the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate remains unaffected by this. As someone noted to me, "the Karas proponents can repackage their method and present it elsewhere as something proprietary".

Certainly they can, outside the domain of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. But inside, any disobedience of this Decision can (and will) be met with an equal and appropriate response by the Mother Church.

This Decision is firm, clear, tough and leaves nothing to the imagination. It was long in coming.

Finally, the Ecumenical Patriarchate did what it has always done when its traditions and teachings are threatened by outliers and untenable personal initiatives. Especially those that have no factual, historical basis.

NG

Last edited:

Laosynaktis

Παλαιό Μέλος

The Karas proponents are not very happy, but now they must reap what they sowed.

They were warned in the mid 90s by Decisions of the Church of Greece which, although clear, were not specific enough or "tough" enough. Over the past 10 years, they witnessed their Theories and tenets crumble before facts and data. Still, they continued to promote pseudoscience and musical heresy.

I believe the Decision is clear without any need for footnotes. Anyone who serves a church under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate as a musician and/or a teacher of music has to now seriously consider where their allegiances lie as far as chant goes. With a system that the Mother church now denounces in all possible manner, or with a system that has been tried and true since the reformation of the Three Teachers.

Of course, anyone outside the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate remains unaffected by this. As someone noted to me, "the Karas proponents can repackage their method and present it elsewhere as something proprietary".

Certainly they can, outside the domain of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. But inside, any disobedience of this Decision can (and will) be met with an equal and appropriate response by the Mother Church.

This Decision is firm, clear, tough and leaves nothing to the imagination. It was long in coming.

Finally, the Ecumenical Patriarchate did what it has always done when its traditions and teachings are threatened by outliers and untenable personal initiatives. Especially those that have no factual, historical basis.

NG
And so you in America not only were rescued from my teaching in Holy Cross but will be rescued for ever!
But perhaps you don't need to give so many explanations to Gabriel, because he had himself an experience with a pupil of Karas, i.e. me (and my singing, research and teaching), last May in Boston. I suppose he can judge himself.

Ioannis Arvanitis

greek487

Tasos N.
Thanks for sharing this, Nick. Has there been any sort of a reaction to this at all?

So far, the way I see it Gabriel, the reaction has been fairly muted compared to responses to other topics. Who knows how it will play out.

Some feel vindicated and are celebrating in an over-the-top triumphant manner. Others are questioning the manner in which the Ecumenical Patriarchate conducted the process in order to arrive at such a hasty, absolute, totalitarian conclusion. Some believe it's a way to placate some of the more militant and aggressive 'traditional' chanters.

Till now, no minutes or other explanations have been provided by the Patriarchate to illustrate how it come to this conclusion. So the jury seems to still be out. However, since the announcement has no musicological content, some musicologists and others believe that it will not have much impact or bring about any significant change.

An important reaction comes from a professor of Byzantine Chant at the Ionian University.

ΥΓ Με τη θριαμβολογία και τον απόλυτο τόνο του κ. Γιαννουκάκη δεν θα συμφωνήσω σε καμία περίπτωση. Το Πατριαρχείο έρχεται να συμβάλει στη λύση ενός χρονίζοντος μουσικού και μουσικολογικού προβλήματος, όχι να δικαιώσει τη μία μερίδα και να συντρίψει την άλλη. Παρακαλώ να υπάρχει διάκριση σε αυτό το τόσο σοβαρό και ευαίσθητο θέμα.

(My translation.) With the triumphalism and the absolute tone of Mr. Giannoukakis I will not agree with under any circumstance. The Patriarchate came to provide a solution to a long musical and musicological problem, not to justify one group and crush the other. I admonish you to use discretion in this serious and sensitive topic.

That's my take so far.

Happy Pentecost!

Taso
P.S. I just now re-read Mr. Giannoukakis' above post. Does this strike you as fear-mongering or is it just me? =)

. . .

Last edited:

greek487

Tasos N.

NG

Are you sure you don't want to tone down this post my dear Mr. Giannoukakis?

any disobedience of this Decision can (and will) be met with an equal and appropriate response by the Mother Church.

Really? Since when has the Ecumenical Patriarchate become your mouthpiece?

. . .

Last edited:

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Mr. Nassis,

The Decision of the Ecumenical Patriarchate is very clear. It could not be any clearer. You have every right to write the Patriarch and ask for explanations and so on. That is your prerogative.

On the other hand, given its clarity and direction, the Decision also commands respect and obedience by those whose subject matter it impacts. In a free society, everyone is free to make choices. The choices they make, in the context of the behaviour of the servants of the church, have constraints (even if we do not like them).

The Decision constrains our "likes". If one chooses to not follow and respect that Decision, it is obvious and does not require anything else than common sense to understand that the Mother Church has the authority to take whatever action is necessary for compliance.

I do not represent the Mother Church in any official capacity.

If you have another interpretation of the Decision, it is your right to write the Phanar, requesting explanations. It would also be wise to preface your communication with a paragraph outlining what and who you represent.

@Mr. Arvanitis:

Everyone has a free choice in life. They also have the right to consider all possible sides of a matter. If they consider that your views are tenable then they have every right to follow them further. If they consider otherwise, they have every right to reject them, and find answers elsewhere.

At the same time, you disingeniously avoid the fact that a chantor serves a clerical role and is bound by rules that the church (in the US it is the Ecumenical Patriarchate that directs our activities). Those rules include Decisions. We may not like them, but we are bound by them.

Otherwise, we have no place as servants of such a church.

We have the freedom to seek our pleasure and our theories elsewhere.

NG

greek487

Tasos N.
Mr. Nassis,

The Decision of the Ecumenical Patriarchate is very clear. It could not be any clearer. You have every right to write the Patriarch and ask for explanations and so on. That is your prerogative.

On the other hand, given its clarity and direction, the Decision also commands respect and obedience by those whose subject matter it impacts. In a free society, everyone is free to make choices. The choices they make, in the context of the behaviour of the servants of the church, have constraints (even if we do not like them).

The Decision constrains our "likes". If one chooses to not follow and respect that Decision, it is obvious and does not require anything else than common sense to understand that the Mother Church has the authority to take whatever action is necessary for compliance.

I do not represent the Mother Church in any official capacity.

If you have another interpretation of the Decision, it is your right to write the Phanar, requesting explanations. It would also be wise to preface your communication with a paragraph outlining what and who you represent.

@Mr. Arvanitis:

Everyone has a free choice in life. They also have the right to consider all possible sides of a matter. If they consider that your views are tenable then they have every right to follow them further. If they consider otherwise, they have every right to reject them, and find answers elsewhere.

At the same time, you disingeniously avoid the fact that a chantor serves a clerical role and is bound by rules that the church (in the US it is the Ecumenical Patriarchate that directs our activities). Those rules include Decisions. We may not like them, but we are bound by them.

Otherwise, we have no place as servants of such a church.

We have the freedom to seek our pleasure and our theories elsewhere.

NG

My dear Mr. Giannoukaki,

Your initial post strikes me as fear-mongering and this post just seems plain cruel, especially while addressing such an authority and expert of Byzantine Chant as Dr. Ioannis Arvanitis (Laosynaktis).

I'm not surprised why so many in the Greek section of the forum do not share your absolutism and militancy. The Christian Orthodox Church is many things, but it is not a totalitarian political arena where one small group of individuals forces 'compliance', 'obedience', and 'rules' on others ... 'or else'. If you should become Patriarch then you can try to reshape the Church into whatever you believe it to be. Yet, even then, we Orthodox do not have such a thing as papal infallibility. Perhaps you confuse us with the Roman Catholic denomination.

Overall, your interpretations of the Ecumenical Patriarchate's announcement are unorthodox, unchristian, militant, and inaccurate.

Neither the Ecumenical Patriarchate, nor Orthodox Christianity of any jurisdiction, nor Christianity of any denomination, let alone any reasonable human being would even remotely consider sanctioning this type of irrational militancy. The Christian Orthodox Church is not under your command my dear friend. You approach our beloved Church as though its a totalitarian political battleground, something very far from the conscience and heart of the Church.

I can only imagine what kind of revolution you would've enacted had the Patriarchate stated that chanters end their petty disputes and get to work.

Coexist my dear fellow ... C-O-E-X-I-S-T

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DEk1bnSSnfo/SW_l8L2js4I/AAAAAAAAAFA/E1u41nYcXB0/s400/coexist.jpg

Sincerely,
Taso

. . .

Last edited:

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
[Moderator's note] Mr Nassis, I've received a complaint regarding your previous post claiming it consists personal defamation, therefore I ask you to provide proof of the allegations or to remove the personal comments immediately. I will also ask you and everybody else to not make any more personal comments on this or any thread.

Dimitri

Staff member
[Moderator's note] Mr Nassis was given the opportunity to remove the allegations that he made which were of a personal nature and which did not belong to this forum and he did. Mr Nassis, this is a last warning.

I am also sending a warning to Mr Giannoukakis as his argumentative and attacking tone has not helped and does not help a constructive dialogue.

To all: as you know this topic is contentious and people hold strong opinions which is a recipe for flame wars that we have seen numerous times already. Please tone down your argumentation, do not flood the discussion with messages repeating things you've said over and over, do not engage in personal confrontations and respect the forum and the people who read it. Take all personal issues offline.

Last edited:

Dimitri

Staff member
[Moderator's note] Mr Nassis, actually did remove the offending allegations which I did not notice in time (my apologies) so I have restored his edited post and modified my previous note.

David Walker

Νέο μέλος
This is not directed at anyone specifically, but if I understand the Holy hierarchy of our church correctly, as I believe I do, the Ecumenical Patriarchate can not force a canonical Bishop/Metropolitan to do anything as long as the Bishop is still within the cannons of the church. Basically, while we should be obedient to our Holy Patriarch, our local Hierarchs are where our first obediences lie. I have a hard time believing any Hierarch in America will call for strict enforcement of this. See the very well known example here: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/encyclical.pdf

David

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium
Basically, while we should be obedient to our Holy Patriarch, our local Hierarchs are where our first obediences lie. I have a hard time believing any Hierarch in America will call for strict enforcement of this. See the very well known example here: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/encyclical.pdf

David

We should but ...

There 's something wrong with your reasoning ...

Anyway the Announcement of the Patriarchal Holy Synod on Ecclesiastic Music has a general meaning.

If you know better or you can't understand what is tradition of Megali Ekklisia and what is unjustified and arrogant renovation with contempt to a long established oral tradition ...

It's your choice ...

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
I have a hard time believing any Hierarch in America will call for strict enforcement of this.

David,

Your above statement may be true, but only because most (if not all) of GOA's hierarchs are a) clueless about "the issue", or b) couldn't care less. As long as the four-part harmony western choirs, with their screeching sopranos and their booming organs, are intact in the choir lofts of the Greek Orthodox churches in America, well then... all is well in Wonderland!

Besides: enforce it on WHO? On the old gentleman, whoever he may be, God bless him, from some Greek village who immigrated to the U.S. and who is offering his services gratis to his church so that an Orthros can be chanted? What does HE know about Byzantine Music and scales and intervals and modes when he barely reads Greek at an elementary level?

And yet, it is these unsung heroes who HEARD the hymns from the Mother Country and who try their best to duplicate them here. They tell you, "I'm not a musician or a music scholar; I just remember how I heard these hymns in my village from the psalti that taught them to me, and I'm doing what I can." And you can bet, back then, there was no "Karas System" or newfangled symbols or weird sharpening and flattening of notes... But I digress.

Apostolos

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Your argument, Mr. Walker is disingenious in the context of respect to the church, in both a canonic and metaphysical sense.

Your argument is no different than: "There are no cops around in a 45 mph zone, so I am free to press on the gas pedal to 90".

In the end, none of the canons, in todays age, are completely "enforcible" and no Patriarchal "ton ton macoute" will roam the churches of the world looking to punish or to make an example out of anyone.

However, if you claim that you support the Mother Church and its traditions, your words and statements should be exemplified by actions.

Otherwise, the entire system breaks down and one might as well relativise everything about faith....

Now, if you want to argue about the problems of the Karas method, there are ample examples that have been provided here (on the Greek and English side) about the problems of the theory and the tenets.

NG

David Walker

Νέο μέλος
All,

Thank you for your response. As a quick clarification, I do not personally intend to follow anything outside the Holy Patriarchate, and follow its correct tradition to the best of my abilities.

I agree completely with Mr. Apostolos, and find your point about to whom this would be enforced, as a fantastic observation. Not only does this apply well to the "unsung heroes" you mentioned, but we all know that there are few "chanters" at all in the United States who can even muddle through a diatonic mode. Not to digress, but as you all surely know, as an example, the very service of Orthros is largely maintained in the United States, especially in regions with a small amount of chanters, by honest efforts of those who would have no idea what this forum topic even meant. They're just not chanters. You could name very large cities outside of the northeast and midwest that have no one even mildly capable at chanting. This is altogether another problem.

That brings me to my final point, in which I do not really disagree with any of you. On a practical level in the United States, this decision will go largely unheard, and will go largely unenforced. Maybe at Parishes with someone trained in the Karas method who is educated and humble enough to change his ways would, but this too would indeed be a small population. I do not in any way condone or encourage any sort of direct or slight-of-hand disobedience to our Holy Tradition. I was just making an observation.

Mr. Giannoukakis, while I may post very little here. I read much. I know better than to defend Karas (not that I would necessarily) in your presence. :) I thank you for your response.

greek487

Tasos N.
This is not directed at anyone specifically, but if I understand the Holy hierarchy of our church correctly, as I believe I do, the Ecumenical Patriarchate can not force a canonical Bishop/Metropolitan to do anything as long as the Bishop is still within the cannons of the church. Basically, while we should be obedient to our Holy Patriarch, our local Hierarchs are where our first obediences lie. I have a hard time believing any Hierarch in America will call for strict enforcement of this. See the very well known example here: http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/music/encyclical.pdf

David
David,

Thank you for your inquiry and insights on the topic.

To explore the significant contributions of Simon Karas to the field of Byzantine Chant, you can browse the Greek section of this forum or conduct your own scholarly inquiries. (I was surprised to find an entry on Simon Karas in the Oxford University Press's The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, one of the largest reference works on Western music. Contact me for some other suggestions in English.)

Specifically regarding this topic, let me only say that internationally renowed authorities on Byzantine Chant such as Ioannis Arvanitis and Grigorios Stathis have a much different perspective on the work of Simon Karas.

Many in the Greek section have also questioned the content of this announcement as well as the process by which it originated. Some have pointed to the continuous lobbying efforts by the 'traditional chanters' upon the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

To be clear, the Patriarch himself has not signed the announcement (it was generated by the Patriarchal and Synodic Committee on Divine Worship) but has in fact supported many Karas-influenced practioners throughout the years. (A letter of high praise was sent to Karas himself in 1995 where the same Patriarchate expressed its intentions to honor Karas with an offikion (special honorary office and title).)

In many Christian Orthodox areas this entire issue is completely irrelevant, even strange perhaps. Truly, these types of in-house squabbles do not portray the world of Byzantine Chant in its most glorious light. I would hope that in lands where Byzantine Chant is foreign, that newcomers meet this sacred artform in its pure beauty and not thru what a musicologist called "parochial, ultra-conservative dogmatization of music theory".

Suffice it to say that the topic is complex, and it would be foolish to recreate the discussion already taking place in the Greek section.

Happy Chanting!
Taso

. . .

dimskrekas

Δημήτρης Σκρέκας
David,

To explore the significant contributions of Simon Karas to the field of Byzantine Chant, you can browse the Greek section of this forum or conduct your own scholarly inquiries. (I was surprised to find an entry on Simon Karas in the Oxford University Press's The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, one of the largest reference works on Western music. Contact me for some other suggestions in English.)

Specifically regarding this topic, let me only say that internationally renowed authorities on Byzantine Chant such as Ioannis Arvanitis and Grigorios Stathis have a much different perspective on the work of Simon Karas.

Many in the Greek section have also questioned the content of this announcement as well as the process by which it originated. Some have pointed to the continuous lobbying efforts by the 'traditional chanters' upon the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

To be clear, the Patriarch himself has not signed the announcement (it was generated by the Patriarchal and Synodic Committee on Divine Worship) but has in fact supported many Karas-influenced practioners throughout the years. (A letter of high praise was sent to Karas himself in 1995 where the same Patriarchate expressed its intentions to honor Karas with an offikion (special honorary office and title).)

In many Christian Orthodox areas this entire issue is completely irrelevant, even strange perhaps. Truly, these types of in-house squabbles do not portray the world of Byzantine Chant in its most glorious light. I would hope that in lands where Byzantine Chant is foreign, that newcomers meet this sacred artform in its pure beauty and not thru what a musicologist called "parochial, ultra-conservative dogmatization of music theory".

Suffice it to say that the topic is complex, and it would be foolish to recreate the discussion already taking place in the Greek section.

Happy Chanting!
Taso

. . .

Palatino font is obsolete....

d

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
Mr. Nassis,

To be clear, the Patriarch himself has not signed the announcement (it was generated by the Patriarchal and Synodic Committee on Divine Worship)

SURELY, you can't possibly be SERIOUS with this insane comment....?

As for this one:

but has in fact supported many Karas-influenced practioners throughout the years.

... again: are you KIDDING me? How many times does it have to be stressed that the Patriarch has only sent letters acknowledging efforts and merely giving a blessing, but in fact, does NOT "support" anything that it is outside of the tradition of the Holy and Great Church of Christ?

And finally:

In many Christian Orthodox areas this entire issue is completely irrelevant, even strange perhaps. Truly, these types of in-house squabbles do not portray the world of Byzantine Chant in its most glorious light.

Clearly, this is your way of attempting to totally downplay (some use the term "poo-poo") the Patriarchal decision. SHAME ON YOU! "Irrelevant"? Absolutely not. The issue is VERY relevant and the Patriarchate has CLEARLY taken a position on the matter, a position which, obviously, you do not agree with.

So the bottom line is this: nobody can "FORCE" anybody to do anything. Fine. But just know that from here on out, if you fall under the aegis of the Patriarchate, and you are chanting anything OTHER than what is considered in line with the Tradition of the Mother Church, you are considered to be going AGAINST the Mother Church.

Really, the whole thing is quite simple to understand.

Apostolos

domesticus

Lupus non curat numerum ovium
David,

So what? Theoretical interpretation and academic resaearch is one thing but everyday chanting is another. During the first you can try different approaches but for the second you cannot easily deviate from the traditional way.

Ok. Everything you don't like it is 'lobbying'. :rolleyes: Very 'positive' thinking.:rolleyes:

The road to hell is full of good intentions.

Glorious light indeed is the Announcement of the Patriarchal Holy Synod on Ecclesiastic Music, focusing on the huge problem with S.Karas Theoretikon and offering some solution at last.

In house squabbles? What a patronizing propaganda! Maybe this is your wish, but only in your wildest dreams ...:rolleyes:

Happy Chanting!
Taso

. . .

Of course the topic is complex so stop patronizing about it and, if you dare, try to explain it to Mr. Walker :cool: