Psaltic taxis question

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Greetings -I have a question regarding psaltierion etiquette. I have seen some video snips of the Patriarchal services, and there are a couple of points where the psaltai step off the cliros. Why is that done and at what points does it occur.

John

apostolos

Απόστολος Κομπίτσης
Greetings -I have a question regarding psaltierion etiquette. I have seen some video snips of the Patriarchal services, and there are a couple of points where the psaltai step off the cliros. Why is that done and at what points does it occur.

John

John,

The "stepping down" and "stepping up" of the psaltai from/to their respective stasidia are traditional movements used to show reverence, honour, and the holiest moments of the services. (In addition, they add a special touch to the divine services, in that the psaltai indicate to the congregation by these movements that certain parts of the services have a special meaning.)

Not only the psaltai of the Patriarchate but ALL psaltai should execute these movements. Most (if not "all", in a general sense of the word) of the chanters here in the States know nothing about doing this, so a little education is required.

Briefly, I'll give you the directions of the movements as they pertain to the Esperinos, Orthros and Divine Liturgy. I will list the points at which you should step DOWN (or remain down). All other times, step back up.

ESPERINOS
  • Step down at the "Eis polla eti Despota" (that is, during the entrance of the hierarch into the Church), the "Evlogitos o Theos imon" (start of Vespers) and the "Defte proskynisomen" of the Proimiakos.
  • During the hymns "Theotoke Parthene" of the Katanyktikos Esperinos.
  • At "Sofia", the "Ton Despotin", until the end.

ORTHROS
  • At the start "Evlogitos", "Vasilef Ouranie".
  • During the Exapsalmos, the Eirinika, the "Theos Kyrios" and the Apolytikia.
  • At the "Doxa" of the Evlogitaria. (I don't think this is done here anymore.)
  • At the "Eis polla eti" of the hierarch's entrance into the Church.
  • During the Gospel reading, the "Anastasin Xristou" and the 50th Psalm up to and including the verse "Idou gar alitheian".
  • During the Megalynaria, that is, the "Timiotera". (However, NOT if the Canon of the 9th Ode is chanted, say,during a Despotiki eorti.)
  • During the Exaposteilarion. (At the Patriarchate, only the left chanter - the Lambadarios - steps down to chant his Exaposteilarion, after the Patriarch has chanted the first one. If there is another hierarch on the throne, the Lambadarios does NOT step down. We can adapt this to our situation by having the Lambadarios step down only in the case of a "xorostasia" by the official hierarch of the Metropolis, i.e. the Metropolitan.)
  • During the "Ton Despotin kai Arxierea" when the hierarch takes "kairo" in the case of a hierarchical Liturgy.
  • During the slow "Aineite" when the hierarch takes "kairo" in the case of a hierarchical "xorostasia".
  • At the Doxology.

DIVINE LITURGY
  • At the "Evlogimeni i Vasileia"
  • At the Gospel ("Sofia, Orthoi"... step down)
  • At the "Os ton vasilea" of the Xerouvikon.
  • At the "Se Ymnoumen", and remain down during the "Axion Estin"
  • At the "Prosxomen, ta Agia tis Agiois" and through the "Eis Agios".
  • At Communion ("Meta fovou Theou..."), through "Eidomen to fos" and until the end.
  • At the "Kyrie eleisons" during the ordination of a deacon, presbyter or bishop.

There are other directions for other services (Xairetismoi, Paraklisis, Pre-Sanctified Liturgies, etc. etc. But the above should get you started.

Apostolos