Metropolitan Elias Kurban (+30 July 2009)

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Hi all, I was informed today by Amanda Yazbeck that Metr. Elias Kurban fell asleep in the Lord on Thursday 30 July 2009. May his memory be eternal.

I was also sent the following info, written by Metr. Philip Saliba:

Metropolitan ELIAS (Kurban) was born in Ain-Sindyaneh in the late 1920’s. He lost his father when he was a child. He and his brothers and sisters were raised by his late mother of blessed memory. He began his life in the Church at a very early age at Saint Elias Monastery of Showaia and subsequently he enrolled at the Balamand Seminary near Tripoli, Lebanon. He was gifted with an angelic voice and excelled in Byzantine Music. After he left Balamand Seminary, he enrolled at the Asiya Orthodox School in Damascus where he received his Baccalaureate Degree. From Damascus he came to Beirut to live at the Orthodox Bishopric under the Omophorion of the late Metropolitan ELIA (Saleeby).

While in Beirut he enrolled at the American University of Beirut where he earned his Bachelor and Master Degrees in History. His Thesis for his M.A. Degree was on the Antiochian Crisis of 1898-1899. In the early 1950’s he left Beirut for the United States of America where he lived with the late Metropolitan ANTONY (Bashir), and at the same time studied theology at Saint Vladimir’s Seminary and graduated with a Master’s Degree in Divinity. In the late 1950’s he was ordained a priest by Metropolitan ANTONY (Bashir) and assigned to the pastorate of Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Parish in Boston, Massachusetts. In 1961, he was elected Metropolitan by the Holy Synod of Antioch and in early 1962 he was consecrated as Metropolitan of Tripoli, Al-Koura, and Dependencies. He worked tirelessly in his archdiocese for 47 years. He distinguished himself by organizing many Syro-Byzantine choirs which have enriched the spiritual life of the Patriarchate of Antioch.

He was loved by Christians and Muslims alike, and contributed much to a dialogue of understanding between Christians and non-Christians. He established many institutions in his archdiocese and left many beautiful recordings which are his greatest legacy. Metropolitan ILYAS is gone but the echo of his voice will remain in the ears of the present Orthodox generation, and in many generations to come. His memory indeed is eternal!

+ His Eminence Metropolitan PHILIP (Saliba)

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
And who is the author of the piece? (given unusual modulations and phrases I would presume it's Mitri al-Murr)

Thank you for sharing that recording with us, Shota. The composer of the piece is indeed Mitri el-Murr; the composition can be found on page 138 of his book Al-Usbou' Al-'Atheem [Holy Week]. As I've pointed out, this particular piece is perhaps one of the most extreme examples of external influences in Mitri el-Murr's compositions due to its many unusual formulae, melodic movements, and modal variations. (In most other instances, Mitri el-Murr remained fairly faithful to the classical melodic formulae and exercised greater parsimony with regard to modal variations.)

I have attached another recording of the same piece, chanted by Metropolitan Elias and a few others. I don't have any additional information about this recording.

Attachments

• O pos i paranomos synagogi.mp3
    9.1 MB · Views: 44