Trisagion Plagal Fourth

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
That came out well also. I noticed that its range is not very large. This would make it useful for days when one's voice is tired.

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
That came out well also. I noticed that its range is not very large. This would make it useful for days when one's voice is tired.

My inspiration for this setting was from the Slow Doxology by Kiltzanides as well as the Trisagion by Stanitsas (based on said Slow Doxology) and the Trisagion by Hieromonk Gregory of Simonopetra (based on the Trisagion by Stanitsas). The extremely wide range of the versions by Kiltzanides and Stanitsas happen to be impractical for me personally, so I simplified the melody in the same way as Hieromonk Gregory: by cutting out the extremely low sections.

I should note that I am a bit unhappy with the "Holy Immortal" and "Have mercy on us" portions of the Dynamis. I think they could use some more melodic lines and variety. However, I didn't have many options when it came to finding appropriate formulas, other than the formulas that happened to be appropriate in the pieces I mentioned above, and the old (slow) sticheraric formulae from Philanthidis in the catalogue. Hopefully, once the papadic formula of plagal fourth mode are codified, I will be able to use them to enhance the melody for those lines.

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Because I sometimes chant equally in English and Greek (depending on the day), and I like the settings to match as closely as possible, I "composed" a Greek version of this Trisagion by taking the score from the Simonopetra Liturgy Book (upon which Basil's Trisagion was based) transposing it to Ni, and re-writing the theseis more simply/classically to match Basil's score.

The result is attached. I chanted from both today; the flow was seamless.

-Gabriel

Attachments

• Trisagion in Greek - Plagal 4th.pdf
    604.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: