English Liturgical Prokeimena Compositions

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
I figured I would make a thread for compositions of any Prokeimena for Liturgical Use. I have only made one, it is the Plagal 4th Prokeimenon. Translation from HTM.

My inspiration and model was the Prokeimenon from the English Divine Liturgy CD of Capella Romana, but as it was a different translation I changed it a bit to fit the HTM translation.

Criticism welcome!

Attachments

• Prokeimenon Plagal Fourth Mode.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 83

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I figured I would make a thread for compositions of any Prokeimena for Liturgical Use. I have only made one, it is the Plagal 4th Prokeimenon. Translation from HTM.

My inspiration and model was the Prokeimenon from the English Divine Liturgy CD of Capella Romana, but as it was a different translation I changed it a bit to fit the HTM translation.

Criticism welcome!

Just glancing I like it. I notice you leave the elxeis issue as a matter of interpretation.

Just a clarifying question, where is this business of the 2nd stichos coming from? The liturgical texts that I have gone from only include the refraining prokeimonon verse and one stichos.

JPP

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
And where did he get the second one from?

I have no idea. Obviously the verses are from the same psalm as the prokeimenon, but as for where Karas/Pappas/whoever got them, I really don't know. Honestly, and this might be a bad reflection on me, I just saw 2 verses in the Pappas book and never thought about why there were 2 there and only one in the Apostolos.

I just double-checked to be sure as well. He has 2 verses per Prokeimenon.

basil

Παλαιό Μέλος
Composed this today.

Nice work, Sam! The only minor thing that caught my attention is that the first vareia on the first line should be removed.

In my experience, the final repetition of a Prokeimenon can differ slightly from the first and second repetitions. When this happens, the final repetition usually shares a similar melodic contour to the first and second repetitions but tends to employ variations of the same formulae which have more "finality" (for lack of a better term), as well as a "final cadence for Theotokia" (in the terminology of the formula book).

You could do compose a melody for the third repetition of this Prokeimenon as follows: For the phrase "The Lord will give strength unto his people," blend the first (100100) formula at the top of page 708 and the 10100010 formula on page 702. For the phrase "The Lord will bless his people with peace," you can use the 100010X formula on the top of page 720. (Even though that formula is usually accented on the third to last syllable, it is acceptable to use it with a phrase that is accented on the fourth to last syllable. In fact, at least one master composer did this, as is clear by looking at the 1001 formula on page 245).

If you follow this suggestion, it might be worth considering adjusting the melodic contour of your original composition so that the first and second repetitions match the melodic contour of the final repetition. You could do that as follows: For the phrase "The Lord will give strength until his people," blend the first 0100100 formula on page 708 with the third 010 formula on page 703.

In the end this is a purely creative suggestion, since the melody you composed is valid.

Basil

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
Nice work, Sam! The only minor thing that caught my attention is that the first vareia on the first line should be removed.

Ah, you are right. That was an error on my part, as I had a different formula in, then changed the composition and missed removing the vareia. My apologies.

In my experience, the final repetition of a Prokeimenon can differ slightly from the first and second repetitions.

I like the suggestion, but is this true for Liturgical Prokeimena? I'll take a look at the few I have. If it's true, then I plan to implement your suggestions.

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
I composed this for Regular 3rd Mode Sundays (which doesn't apply to Thomas Sunday, see next message). Had a rather difficult time with it as the pattern was 011001,10; 11001,10. Please let me know of your thoughts.

Attachments

• 3rd Mode Prokeimenon.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
The composition was inspired and adapted from a piece by Mr. John Boyer. I changed a few things, but his piece was my inspiration.

Attachments

• Prokeimenon in Plagal Second Mode.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Hello Mr. Herron,

Christ is risen!

Have you perhaps composed Prokeimena in the remaining modes (2nd, 4th, Pl. 1st) as well? I'm putting together a book of music for the Divine Liturgy, and I wanted to include a full set of Prokeimena. If you have composed any in those other three modes, that would be fantastic!

-Gabriel

herron.samuel

Ieropsaltis
Hello Mr. Herron,

Christ is risen!

Have you perhaps composed Prokeimena in the remaining modes (2nd, 4th, Pl. 1st) as well? I'm putting together a book of music for the Divine Liturgy, and I wanted to include a full set of Prokeimena. If you have composed any in those other three modes, that would be fantastic!

-Gabriel

No, unfortunately not as of yet. I composed these as I personally needed them. If you would like for me to, I would be more than willing to give it a shot.

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
No, unfortunately not as of yet. I composed these as I personally needed them. If you would like for me to, I would be more than willing to give it a shot.

Anything would be great. There's a little group of some students from Hellenic College that sometimes chant Liturgy on Sundays at my father's church. It would be nice to be able to do the Prokeimena. :)

Thanks!

-G

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
Anything would be great. There's a little group of some students from Hellenic College that sometimes chant Liturgy on Sundays at my father's church. It would be nice to be able to do the Prokeimena. :)

Thanks!

-G

Please contact me privately I might have something useful :)

JPP