M. Arranz, Euchologium Constantinupoleos

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
I attach M. Arranz's book (in Russian) on the Euchologion of Constantinople. Its main part (p. 55ff) is an attempt of a critical edition of the Greek text of the Euchologion of Constantinople of the beginning of the 11th c. based on three mss Euchologia (Euchologia of Bessarion and Strategius and the Athens Euchologion (EBE 662)).

P.S. I don't know about the situation with author's rights on the book (Arranz is not alive any more), but I've seen its copies on many Russian websites.

Attachments

• Tomus III Euchologium Constantinupoleos XI ineunte saeculo. 2003.pdf.zip
    27.2 MB · Views: 156

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Euchologion of Bessarion is a ms copied about 1020 in Constantinople. Its name derives from the fact that at one time it was owned by Bessarion (Metropolitan of Nikaia and later a cardinal).

Euchologion of Strategios was copied in 1027 by chaplain Strategios in Constantinople.

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος

From where have you this information?

From a summary article on this Euchologion:

http://www.pravenc.ru/text/158796.html

The first detailed description of the ms was given in A. Rocchi's catalogue, p. 235-244 (historical information is given on p. 244), which is available online here:

http://dbooks.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/books/PDFs/590848711.pdf

Arranz in the Russian book I uploaded, pp. 7-8, estimates the date of the ms by the same epoch as that of the Euchologion of Strategios (because the contents of the two correspond almost literally), but thinks it (or its original, from which it was copied) is somewhat earlier, because the rubrics in the Bessarion Euchologion are much shorter, and certain chapters present in the Strategios Euchologion, that look like additions, are absent in the former.

Euchologion of Bessarion is a ms copied about 1020 in Constantinople. Its name derives from the fact that at one time it was owned by Bessarion (Metropolitan of Nikaia and later a cardinal).

Euchologion of Strategios was copied in 1027 by chaplain Strategios in Constantinople.

Even that Miguel Lorenzo Arranz(Μιχαὴλ Ἀρρανθ) was my Master's director and he was helping me with my liturgical education at Pontifical Oriental Institute[also Ἰωάννης Μ. Φουντούλης- Robert Taft- Stefano Parenti], I have to inform the community that the so called Euchologion Bessarion and its dating 1020 it is not accurate. The research of scholars have demonstrated that the manuscript is from Thirteenth Century and has no relation with Bessarion.
Especially on the manuscript and its dating see S. PARENTI– E. VELKOVSKA, «A Thirteenth Century Manuscript of the Constantinopolitan Euchology: Grottaferrata Γ.β. I, Alias of Cardinal Bessarion», στὸ BBGG terza serie 4 (2007), 175-196[Bolletino della Badia Greca di Grottaferrata]
About the manuscripts of the Constantinople and their characteristics I refer to the article of a disciple of M. ARRANZ and a good friend of mine, Π. ΚΑΛΑΙΤΖΙΔΟΥ, «Τρία χφφ «Πατριαρχικὰ» Εὐχολόγια: Paris, Coislin 213, Grottaferrata Γ. Β. I, Ἐθνικῆς Βιβλιοθήκης τῆς Ἑλλάδος 662. Ἱστορικοκριτικὴ προσέγγιση» στὸ Π. ΣΚΑΛΤΣΗ-ΝΙΚΟΔΗΜΟΥ ΣΚΡΕΤΤΑ (Ἀρχιμ.)(ἐπιμ.), Γηθόσυνον Σέβασμα. Ἀντίδωρον τιμῆς καὶ μνήμης εἰς τὸν μακαριστὸν καθηγητὴν τῆς Λειτουργικῆς Ἰωάννην Μ. Φουντούλην († 2007), Τόμος Α’, ἐκδ. «Ἀδελφῶν Κυριακίδη α.ε.», Θεσσαλονίκη 2013, 827-994. [He wrote a dissertation on Π. ΚΑΛΑΙΤΖΙΔΟΥ, L´Eucologio manoscritto 662 della Biblioteca Nazionale di Grecia [Ἀνέκδοτη διατριβὴ ἐπὶ διδακτορίᾳ στὸ Τμῆμα τῶν Ἀνατολικῶν Ἐκκλησιαστικῶν Ἐπιστημῶν (Scienze Ecclesiastiche Orientali)τοῦ Pontificio Istituto Orientale], Roma 2003• ΤΟΥ ΙΔΙΟΥ, Τὸ ὑπ’ἀριθμ. 662 χειρόγραφο-εὐχολόγιο τῆς Ἐθνικῆς Βιβλιοθήκης τῆς Ἑλλάδος ( Excerpta ex Dissertatione ad Doctoratum PIO), Roma 2004.][He is preparing the publication]
About the manuscript tradition of Euschologion, its typology and a compare among the older manuscripts see Christos KANAVAS, L´Eucologio MG 53 (sec. IX) del Monastero di S. Caterina del Sinai [Χρῆστος Ἀθ. Κανάβας, Τὸ ὑπ. ἀριθμ. ΜΓ 53(Θ'αἰ.) Εὐχολόγιον τῶν Νέων Εὑρυμάτων τῆς Ἱερᾶς Μονῆς τῆς Ἁγίας Αἰκατερίνης τοῦ Σινᾶ][It, with God’s benediction and the permision of the Monastery Ἱερᾶς Μονῆς τῆς Ἁγίας Αἰκατερίνης τοῦ Σινᾶ, will be published until December 2014].

Last edited:
I attach M. Arranz's book (in Russian) on the Euchologion of Constantinople. Its main part (p. 55ff) is an attempt of a critical edition of the Greek text of the Euchologion of Constantinople of the beginning of the 11th c. based on three mss Euchologia (Euchologia of Bessarion and Strategius and the Athens Euchologion (EBE 662)).

P.S. I don't know about the situation with author's rights on the book (Arranz is not alive any more), but I've seen its copies on many Russian websites.

I am very happy to see the Russian version of Μ. ARRANZ(†2008) (ἐκδ.), L´Eucologio costantinopolitano agli inizi del secolo XI. Hagiasmatarion & Archieratikon (Rituale & Pontificale) con l´aggiunta del Leiturgikon (Messale), Roma 1996. in zip form BUT We have to take in consideration not the author but the Institutions «Институт Философии Теологии и Истории Св Фомы»- «Pontificia Università Gregoriana» Jesuites are having the rights and NOT M. ARRANZ.
All of the books that my professor has published in Russian are traslations from his own books which he gave to the students at Pontificio Istituto Orientale or «Pontificia Università Gregoriana», some of them i took them from him with dedication. But the Russian versions are published by the Institutum Philosophiae, Theologiae et Historiae Scti. Thomae[ «Институт Философии Теологии и Истории Св Фомы"], so the Institute has the rights?

Last edited:

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Even that Miguel Lorenzo Arranz(Μιχαὴλ Ἀρρανθ) was my Master's director and he was helping me with my liturgical education at Pontifical Oriental Institute[also Ἰωάννης Μ. Φουντούλης- Robert Taft- Stefano Parenti], I have to inform the community that the so called Euchologion Bessarion and its dating 1020 it is not accurate. The research of scholars have demonstrated that the manuscript is from Thirteenth Century and has no relation with Bessarion.
Especially on the manuscript and its dating see S. PARENTI– E. VELKOVSKA, «A Thirteenth Century Manuscript of the Constantinopolitan Euchology: Grottaferrata Γ.β. I, Alias of Cardinal Bessarion», στὸ BBGG terza serie 4 (2007), 175-196[Bolletino della Badia Greca di Grottaferrata]
About the manuscripts of the Constantinople and their characteristics I refer to the article of a disciple of M. ARRANZ and a good friend of mine, Π. ΚΑΛΑΙΤΖΙΔΟΥ, «Τρία χφφ «Πατριαρχικὰ» Εὐχολόγια: Paris, Coislin 213, Grottaferrata Γ. Β. I, Ἐθνικῆς Βιβλιοθήκης τῆς Ἑλλάδος 662. Ἱστορικοκριτικὴ προσέγγιση» στὸ Π. ΣΚΑΛΤΣΗ-ΝΙΚΟΔΗΜΟΥ ΣΚΡΕΤΤΑ (Ἀρχιμ.)(ἐπιμ.), Γηθόσυνον Σέβασμα. Ἀντίδωρον τιμῆς καὶ μνήμης εἰς τὸν μακαριστὸν καθηγητὴν τῆς Λειτουργικῆς Ἰωάννην Μ. Φουντούλην († 2007), Τόμος Α’, ἐκδ. «Ἀδελφῶν Κυριακίδη α.ε.», Θεσσαλονίκη 2013, 827-994. [He wrote a dissertation on Π. ΚΑΛΑΙΤΖΙΔΟΥ, L΄Eucologio manoscritto 662 della Biblioteca Nazionale di Grecia [Ἀνέκδοτη διατριβὴ ἐπὶ διδακτορίᾳ στὸ Τμῆμα τῶν Ἀνατολικῶν Ἐκκλησιαστικῶν Ἐπιστημῶν (Scienze Ecclesiastiche Orientali)τοῦ Pontificio Istituto Orientale], Roma 2003• ΤΟΥ ΙΔΙΟΥ, Τὸ ὑπ’ἀριθμ. 662 χειρόγραφο-εὐχολόγιο τῆς Ἐθνικῆς Βιβλιοθήκης τῆς Ἑλλάδος ( Excerpta ex Dissertatione ad Doctoratum PIO), Roma 2004.][He is preparing the publication]
About the manuscript tradition of Euschologion, its typology and a compare among the older manuscripts see Christos KANAVAS, L΄Eucologio MG 53 (sec. IX) del Monastero di S. Caterina del Sinai [Χρῆστος Ἀθ. Κανάβας, Τὸ ὑπ. ἀριθμ. ΜΓ 53(Θ'αἰ.) Εὐχολόγιον τῶν Νέων Εὑρυμάτων τῆς Ἱερᾶς Μονῆς τῆς Ἁγίας Αἰκατερίνης τοῦ Σινᾶ][It, with God’s benediction and the permision of the Monastery Ἱερᾶς Μονῆς τῆς Ἁγίας Αἰκατερίνης τοῦ Σινᾶ, will be published until December 2014].

Thank you for pointing this out.

In fact I think I have seen Parenti's and Velkovska's paper, but completely forgot about it. Here it is anyway:

https://www.academia.edu/5803414/Wi..._Greca_di_Grottaferrata_III_s._4_2007_175-196

MTheodorakis

Παλαιό Μέλος

Why the liturgies are repeated in pages 537-584?

Could we have the rest of the discription of manuscript St. Petropolitanus 226 (page 533), except this of A. Jacob in Le Museon 78 (1965)? Is there in M. Arranz L´Eucologio costantinopolitano 1996?

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος

Why the liturgies are repeated in pages 537-584?

On those pages an edition of an (Old) Italian redaction of the Byzantine Liturgies is attempted (which differs from the Constantinople redaction(s)). The basis of the edition is formed by the Barberini Euchologion.

Could we have the rest of the discription of manuscript St. Petropolitanus 226 (page 533), except this of A. Jacob in Le Museon 78 (1965)? Is there in M. Arranz L΄Eucologio costantinopolitano 1996?

The Porphyry Uspensky Euchologion is studied in Fr. Pavlos Koumarianos' doctoral thesis.