Gamera: Byzantine Music Ocr

Nikola

Νέο μέλος
Few monts ago I get Gamera. But I still dont know how to use it. Can anyone make a detailed user guide for psaltic ocr with Gamera, and exporting in MS Word?

Thank you!!!

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Nikola, I haven't looked at Gamera yet. You may want to ask its author Georgios Michalakis (email) and post here telling us what you did to make it work.

Nikola

Νέο μέλος
Georgios was very pleasant, he gave me some instructions - but I still dont get it.

Dimitri, do you know some other ocr software?

In Serbia, we are on the way of liturgical renewal in all aspects: past two centuries we do not have clear continuity in the developmet of ones own eclessiastical expression; very often we losed connection with tradition of our Fathers.

However, we are living in the period of new begining.

This action implicated good trends in our liturgical music, we have different aproach to the understanding of its place in the Church.

Books are very rare. First serbian book was published few months ago, other are old bulgarian books.

We hope that some ocr application will make our job more effective. There`s a lot of job to do.

Dimitri

Δημήτρης Κουμπαρούλης, Administrator
Staff member
Many years ago, I developed the preprocessing engine of a Byzantine Music OCR program (for printed books only) during my Bachelor's dissertation (University of Athens). The whole OCR program was developed by Velissarios Gezerlis, a doctoral student of the University of Athens. From what I know he never released the software commercially but if you email him he may be able to help. I don't know, I never got the whole program and haven't spoken to Velissarios recently. His webpage is http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~gbelis/.

mimi

Georgios K. MICHALAKIS
Dear Nikola

I know it's frustrating to keep on waiting for OCR gamera to work automatically everywhere, but the program is only an INTERMEIDIATE module

Our work concerning recognition of contemporary psaltic notation is finished = 2.3 % error rate, with 99% leading to SEMQNTICQLLY incorrect Syntax errors

We have sent the paper for publication

Gamera is FREE of course

Our next phase will be to have Gamera Recognize HANDWRITTEN scores =Boudouriz and; of course paleography

there iz another ongoing project at Harvard = Neumes project but they barely ever answer anyone

Fr terzopouloz is part of that tea,

Just like in Greece; they've been "working hard" at Harvard for the past 10 years or so ane we're all anxiously awaiting rtheir... "results"

In the future = about one year= , OCR Gamera will also be functional with melodos; and the very few recognition errors will be automatically underlined by savvas Papadopoulos' program

Melodos sill also include All the neumnez of psaltic Paleography

Of course, with Gamera, yone can already try recognizing Paleography because one can add qny new "glyphs" to OCR Gamera

For those who do not wish to buy melodos; you'll hqve to find some programmer who will take the OUTPUT code of GAMERA; malke a table according to x-y coordinates and certain well-defined areas, and replace the code by free neu,ez such as those of EZ or BZ

The disadvantage of these fonts is that they only contain the Simonokaraitic paleography, NOT the entire paleographic Font

I suggest you sme the money you'll pay some programmer and buy melodoz, bcause you'll have everything == even Gregorian chant paleography one day

Melodoz will also have a manual in English and French as well as a intephase in these languages

Savvaz is continuously workng on updates

I'll think that this summer's update will be good enough so as to prvide manual translations

Does all this help?

If not, please send me a personal message

I can try spending 20 minutez with you on yahoo messenger if need be

But not right now; please

Thank you for looking tinto Gamera

Georgios