Tillyard, Monumenta Musicae Byzantinae: a Reply

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
As promised, here is an article by Tillyard (H.J.W. Tillyard, Monumenta Musicae Byzantinae: A Reply, in: The Music Review 3 (1942), pp. 103-114) which he produced in response to criticism in two papers by Petresco and Georgiades published in 1939 in Byzantinische Zeitschrift. Tillyard's paper is a product of its epoch and has to be judged accordingly. If you are interested in my opinion, I think it's shallow (just as many of the MMB criticisms by Greek scholarship, even up to our own days). From Tillyard's paper it's not entirely clear what Georgiades believed. Lingas says Tillyard misrepresented Georgiades' position, who seems to have been a supporter of short exegesis. His disagreement with Tillyard (at least based on what Tillyard writes) seems to be purely on grounds that I'd call practical or interpretational: ornamentation and elxeis. One cannot be entirely sure what these looked like in Byzantine times, so that the matter is open to interpretation, but dismissing them entirely as Tillyard does it (especially on "grounds" he does it) is in my view incorrect.

Attachments

• Tillyard_MMB.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 76

SpyridonAntonopoulos

Νέο μέλος
Tillyard's selection of analogies to illustrate the usage of fluid scales, or 'elxeis', in contemporary musical practice (p. 113) is no accident (gipsy band fiddles, 'Zululand' music, and the 'wire-scraping' of natives in South Africa....).

Thanks for the upload!