iPad Chanting

David Walker

Νέο μέλος
Fellow chanters,

I am a rather quiet member of Analogion/Psaltologion, but I thought I would ask a question to all who wish to give their input. A software engineer approached me and asked if an application could contain all of the music I needed for services, and could possibly update automatically, would I be interested. For myself, the answer was yes, but he wanted me to put a "feeler" question out to the serious chanters here. I have really no more information than that unfortunately.

So again, if an iPad application had all your music you needed, whether in Greek or English, would you use it?

Thank you for any response you may give.

David

neoklis

Νεοκλής Λευκόπουλος, Γενικός Συντονιστής
By "all the music you needed" you mean music scores?

neoklis

Νεοκλής Λευκόπουλος, Γενικός Συντονιστής
If this means rewriting all the music scores needed, that would be a very tedious task to complete. Just adding existing PDFs (I already have over 100 Gb of music scores in PDF anf JPG files) is easier but would render the app not very user-friendly. What exactly did you have in mind?

Kavouras

Νέο μέλος
In use my iPad to chant all the time. it's 'old school' chanter approved, 'old-school stern Greek Orthodox priest approved (in my area anyway)...

And the other day I was down at a parish in the US chanting vespers with another guy at a small parish's feast day of St. Sophia's. Their bishop was there and had asked us to chant the Liti for the procession. It wasn't in the menaion they had there, but i told him I had the troparia my iPad. He told me it's ok use that too.

I have a problem with the iBooks software to open the PDFs. It's just not as good as the acrobat PDF readers on regular computers. Finding the right files is a bit of a chore.

What was your friend's idea for the app? Like what would it do? Help organize them, sort out chants in different pdfs in different orders, composers, modes etc?

Sounds like a good idea, even as a teaching tool for us newbs. I'm interested.

God bless you guys,

-Dimitri K.

tnkhoury

Νέο μέλος
I currently use my iPad for most of my chanting as well, but by connecting to Fr. Ephraim's music (Byzantine Notation). I would definitely use an app that contained all the music, or most of it anyway. Also, I posted this in another thread, but there is an app called World Scales by Sub-Deacon Karim El Far which is a keyboard that has all the Byzantine scales preloaded, as well as many other types of scales from around the world. It also has a large variety of Sounds to pick from, including Arabic and Greek type instruments, and a Byzantine Choir sound for ison. Lastly, this app allows you to modify any of the notes and save them to create your own scales...you can do this by adjusting the cents. A great app!

Pappous43

Παλαιό Μέλος
I do not know whether this is exactly on the same theme,
but just in case:
In the last 10 years or so I have slowly made a FREE software
which now runs on Windows but my son (40) will re-write it for iPad.
It reads a text file of simply and mnemonically coded byzantine score and generates a sound (.wav) file with the parallagi
with real human voice(s) of your preference.
It analyses quality characters (e.g. petasti, flutter) and includes varying Ison on one channel.
The software is ideal to assist beginners in their B.M. homework.
For advanced chanters it may be useful for experiments etc.
It includes 23 scales: Usual byzantine plus the same with natural intervals, and the western scale.
Needless to say, intervals may be changed to any arbitrary moria, and the melody may be generated at arbitrary pitch levels.
If interested please see http://analogion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135

saltypsalti

Παλαιό Μέλος
I do not know whether this is exactly on the same theme,
but just in case:
In the last 10 years or so I have slowly made a FREE software
which now runs on Windows but my son (40) will re-write it for iPad.
It reads a text file of simply and mnemonically coded byzantine score and generates a sound (.wav) file with the parallagi
with real human voice(s) of your preference.
It analyses quality characters (e.g. petasti, flutter) and includes varying Ison on one channel.
The software is ideal to assist beginners in their B.M. homework.
For advanced chanters it may be useful for experiments etc.
It includes 23 scales: Usual byzantine plus the same with natural intervals, and the western scale.
Needless to say, intervals may be changed to any arbitrary moria, and the melody may be generated at arbitrary pitch levels.
If interested please see http://analogion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135

can you write it for os x?

JPP

Pappous43

Παλαιό Μέλος
can you write it for os x?

JPP
As stated, BZQ can run in all recent Windows at no charge, free.
For the MAC to run it free, you can install a virtual machine
wich will run, say, light Windows XP, and run Free BZQ on XP (on MAC).
To run it natively on OS X, BZQ needs translation, debugging,testing. All these cost time and money.
I have contacted my son who would do this work:
It would take anything between 3-6 months and a real time cost
of 3000 EUR.
Regards

P.S.
Have you tried it at all on Windows?